Help, Stalled and now won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Help, Stalled and now won't start

So, took the defender out today and am now having some serious issues. I was making a turn 15mph or so and accidentally hit first gear without meaning too. Almost immediately the engine stalled out and now it won't start. It will turn over but that's about it. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? 94 D-90 with about 93k miles on it. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Alberto_SD
Alberto
1995 Discovery 5-spd

Assuming you own a 1994 NAS D90, I would check the inertia switch.

A sudden reduction of speed might trigger your inertia switch killing some of your electrical systems.

Good luck,

-Alberto

1997 Discovery I 5-spd (Alpine White) (Sold)
1995 Discovery I 5-spd (Epsom Green) (Sold)
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Thanks, where do I find the switch? Not having much luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
Inertia Switch

It shuts off the fuel pump, so first of all turn ignition on and listen for the whirr of the pump. it can b heard from the driver's seat in reasonably quiet place. If there is no whirring sound check the inertia switch (if you have one!).

With the bonnet open, it is at the very top of the bulkhead (firewall) to the right (driver side) of center. It has a rubber boot over the button on top, which is pressed to reset. Also check the connector contacts at the bottom of the switch - the can collect water and corrode.
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:17 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

At work all day and won't have a chance to check the fuel pump until tomorrow. In the mean time, I'm really hoping it's the inertia switch that got tripped. Problem is I can't find it. 1994 NAS D90. Checked under the hood on the firewall drivers side, in the fuel box, but still can't find it. Anybody have a picture of the switch and where exactly it can be located? Mahalo!
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Look behind the fuse panel inside the cab. The inertia switch is a little black box maybe 1 1/2" square and if tripped will have a little red plunger sticking out....looks like the thingy that pops when the turkey is done.

I'm wishing I was back in Kaneohe right now.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

So I should actually unscrew and detach the metal panel to get at it? As it stand right now there's no way I can really see behind it much less get a hand back there. Just want to be sure that's the proper place before I go pulling the panel off.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

You should be able to see it through the top.......if that is where it is, unless you have A/C perhaps. I don't have any 94's at the shop right now to take pictures of....95's...97's....but they are in a different spot. Can you get somebody to turn the ignition on (not to start....just on) while you stick your head under the back by the fuel tank and listen for the pump? It should come on for about 5 sec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old August 8th, 2011, 03:51 AM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Yeah, I'll take another look but couldn't see anything like that last time I looked at it. I do have AC so I'm thinking it might be elsewhere. I thought I read somewhere on here that it might be behind the instrument cluster as well. Anyone have any input or if it is there an easy way to get at it?
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I've never seen one behind the instrument cluster. I've got a 94 coming in today and I'll look at that and take a photo.

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I tried to post some photos but have some issue with a *security token* wtf ever that is.
I'll try again later after work.

Old August 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Ok, so I found the inertia switch and it wasn't tripped. I even pulled it out and then reset it, still nothing. When I turn they key I'm definitely not hearing the fuel pump either. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Old August 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Any codes on the ECU?
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
Any codes on the ECU?
Nope no codes. Not quite sure where they would display on the box, but I removed it with it's mount and checked all sides with the ignition on, nothing displayed. Also, removed the connector for the inertia switch and jumped it with a paper clip, still nothing. So assuming it's not the inertia switch now. Removed the fuel pump fuse to check it out and it was. Some corrosion on one of the fuel pump fuse terminals, so that's my next step (spraying that one out). But not quite convinced that's the fix, it didn't look that bad.

Also, not quite sure where the relays are on the 94. I did some searching and someone said in the Passenger seat box, but there are none there (think that's the 95's). Anyone have any ideas on this too?

------ Follow up post added August 8th, 2011 11:29 AM ------

Also, just FYI I do have air conditioning. If the relays are behind the A/C as I suspect, how do I get to them easily?
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to 2nd position? If you find out your relays are ok, check the primary (white wire) going to fuel pump. Also check the white plastic connector underneath the right rear wheel well. That can corrode after awhile. Disconnect them to check if they are brown or black from burning out.

Robert Deniro
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Nope fuel pump is not priming, finally found the relays. In case anyone was wondering they ARE under the A/C on a 94...what a pita. I swapped them with each other and still nothing, gonna run to NAPA and see if they have the part on hand (might as well replace them one way or another since I've got the A/C removed). So, not to be a complete moron, but where exactly is the fuel pump and where is that white wire? I'm a decent wrench but terrible when it comes to electrical (doesn't help that the underbody has been spray coated so everything is the same color).
Old August 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

The white wire comes out of the chassis through a rubber grommit in the right rear of the frame. I think its in a plastic loom, but theres 4 wires going through that loom. 2 go to the fuel pump (inside thet tank) and the other 2 go to the sender unit. My connectors went bad, also the wire from the relay (white wire with black stripe) to the pump went bad. I changed that wire to a thicker one and i grounded the black wire to the frame. Good luck.

Robert Deniro
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
OahuDefender
Jason
1994 D-90

Alright, after a morning of troubleshooting and 2 brand new relays later the problem is finally solved. Turns out the relays were the problem and I managed to find what were problem the only 2 on the island of Oahu! Still not sure why the accidental drop into 1st gear would have caused the relay to fail (giant coincidence??) but I'm happy she's up and running again. Big Mahalos for the help everyone!

And FYI, if you have a 94 with A/C installed it is a giant PITA to get to these relays because they are behind the unit (probably be spending most of the afternoon putting everything back together).
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:25 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Be sure to get the Bosch relays. Every rover should come with a spare pair of these.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Make sure you get a relay with a diode or they will drain your battery overnight. I have yet to find one other than the original (which is why they are big$$?).....except one that one of the big vendors sells which only seems to last for about 2 weeks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start