HELP!!! Sputtering // Code 44 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
HELP!!! Sputtering // Code 44

So my '94 started sputtering and occasionally dying whilst coming to a stop, and had a real rough idle. I even had some popping coming from the exhaust. I checked the code readout and got a code 44, left O2 sensor. I replaced both and after an initial rough idle everything smoothed out and it idled great and rev'd fine.

Well, I took it for a test drive and after a few minutes it started running real rough - A LOT of popping and backfiring at low speeds and a very rough idle. I almost had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from dying. It seemed to smooth out at higher RPMs. The worst part - I got a code 44 again!!!

Does anyone have any ideas? I am used to carbs and not these new fangled computer controled engines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
check the wiring for the o2 unit and the terminals of the socket to make sure they are clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
So my '94 started sputtering and occasionally dying whilst coming to a stop, and had a real rough idle. I even had some popping coming from the exhaust. I checked the code readout and got a code 44, left O2 sensor. I replaced both and after an initial rough idle everything smoothed out and it idled great and rev'd fine.

Well, I took it for a test drive and after a few minutes it started running real rough - A LOT of popping and backfiring at low speeds and a very rough idle. I almost had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from dying. It seemed to smooth out at higher RPMs. The worst part - I got a code 44 again!!!

Does anyone have any ideas? I am used to carbs and not these new fangled computer controled engines.
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Mencia
Dee Da Dee!!!
So it turns out the non-OEM tubing I ran from the MAF to the intake had fallen on the steering shaft and that had worn a massive hole in the tubing. So it looks like I spent $200 on two O2 sensors for nothing. Damn computer told me code 44... I guess I am more angry at myself for not catching that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
So it turns out the non-OEM tubing I ran from the MAF to the intake had fallen on the steering shaft and that had worn a massive hole in the tubing. So it looks like I spent $200 on two O2 sensors for nothing. Damn computer told me code 44... I guess I am more angry at myself for not catching that one.
Do you still have the old ones? If so, put them back on and save the new ones until you need them.

Old June 15th, 2008, 05:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you truck is a 1994 and they were original, it was time.
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, they looked pretty crusty. Plus one was stripped and I had to retap the hole. I kept one as a spare just in case. Thankfully AB had the O2 sensors on sale for $99 each, so the damage wasn't too bad.

Semper Fi!
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:22 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I love this. An 02 sensor code doesn't neccesarily mean the 02 sensor is gone. It means the 02 sensor can't operate within it's limits, probably due to something else....in this case probably lean with an air leak, and couldn't enrich enough to get back in tune. You reset when replacing the sensors and cured nothing.

So don't blame the "damn computer" as in reality it was giving you very good info.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
So don't blame the "damn computer" as in reality it was giving you very good info.
Thanks for the valuable witty commentary. My comment on "damn computers" was in reference to my not understanding ECUs and and the vague code 44, as outlined in my previous posts berating myself for being such an idiot. Your rubbing it in makes it all that much better!

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions