Help! Rear Shock Replacement Hell... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:27 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Angry Help! Rear Shock Replacement Hell...

Arrrgh!!! I was moving along putting in the new rear springs and shocks in my 1997 D90. When I went to put in the first rear shock I realized that there seems to be welded flanges (1 above, 1 below the lower mount face) to hold the bushings for the stock shock setup. Well these shocks I'm putting in are looped (Rancho 9000XL) so I'm using a loop converter from RoverTym for the lower post mount. The loop converter needs to sit flush against the lower mount and I can't get the "bushing cups" out. Are they welded in place or is it just from years of road crud keeping them there? If they are welded any suggestions?

The 1995 did not have this issue. I used a loop converter on it no problem. Is this something new in the 1997s?

Can someone rescue me from my hell? The wife and kids get back in a few days and this is my playtime! Uggh.

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushing_Cups.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	14062  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I am not sure what the loop converter is from RTE but I have their shock relocation kit and also use the 9000XL. I put new springs and shocks on this spring and the installation was very easy. But something tells me in order to use the 9000XL you have to have the relocation kit because the shock is too long? Also, those 9000XL are directional so make sure you have them in according to the arrows or you will screw up the shock.
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Good timing - I was just going to post a photo of the loop converter. I have the exact same setup on my 95 and it was cake without the "cups". I have RT 2" coils, RT shock mounts top, loop converters for the bottom and Rancho 9000XLs (I have 9000X in my 95 as they didn't make the XLs back then).

For the Rancho's it's RS999207 (post/post) and the rears are RS999112 (eye/eye). What model ranchos do you have in do you know?

At any rate I'm hoping either someone here has dealt with this or Steve from RT will get back to me with some words of wisdom. (other than "Good Luck" of course)

At any rate take a look at the converter and let me know what you think.

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Loop_Converter.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	14089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Do you have a welder? If you do, you may try a little trick that works on getting races out. Weld a bead around the outside of the cup. As the bead cools, it will contract the metal and you can hammer it out. I have not tried this in this exact application, but it works very well in similar spots. Only if you are going to throw away the cup of course.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

They are on 97s only.
They are spot welded in place.
Blow them off with and air chisel and forget about them. You'll never need or miss them.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Bfh.
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:19 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
They are on 97s only.
Blow them off with and air chisel and forget about them. You'll never need or miss them.
That's what I needed to hear! With all the profanity streaming from my mouth along with the coal chisel I was using I 1/2-way had the "air chisel" going!!!

I'm fortunate to live next to a neighbor that has every conceivable tool out there. I think he'll be able to hook me up. Does it come off clean? Or clean enough to file it down I guess...?

Hutch
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Probably have to file down the leftover bead, but should be fairly clean. The adapter bolt would probably clear it and I wouldn't really worry about it if it did.
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Talking

Just a quick followup - The air chisel did the trick. Shocks are on and all is well. Thanks for the advice....

Hutch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cups.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	14191  
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:51 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
They are on 97s only.
I could have sworn my 94 had them too. I must be thinking of my 99 D1 that had them then.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac