Help! Question about front rotor and drive shaft. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Help! Question about front rotor and drive shaft.

Hello Guys,

Hopefully someone has run across the problem I'm having and has a solution. I'm changing my front brake rotors. When I put everything back together there was not enough of the drive shaft left sticking out from the hub to put the circlip back on. I've taken it back apart twice and made sure the bearings were seated ok. I've tried pulling the shaft out by putting a bolt in the shaft end and pulling it out as far as possible. So far, no joy. Is the circlip just insurance or will the wheel and shaft definitely go spinning off into space if I don't put it back on? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Bryan Barnes
NAS D90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Did you change the stub axle seal under the needle bearing in the spindle? There are 2 different seals available, one having a smaller ID...I think if you got the wrong seal installed you might not get the cv joint to pull out far enough to get the shims and circlip back on. And, yes you do need to have the joint positioned correctly with the circlip attached or it will bind up and possibly destroy itself.
Rob
Old October 22nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Thanks Rob.

I think maybe there's a problem with the rotor itself. That was the only thing changed. Last year I took the entire hub apart and replaced the seals. It all went back together ok then. The only thing I did today was to change the rotor. No bearings or seals were removed. I think I'll put the old rotor back on for now and regroup. Thanks for the advice.

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The only thing I can think of is maybe the bearings aren't seated properly. Also, isn't the end of the axle stub on yours threaded? I've had to thread bolts into the end of a couple other vehicles before to yank the axle stub out enough. This may be a case of the old "take apart, put together again, and the problem goes away"

The clip is actually needed, it keeps the axle shaft poking out enough to engage into the drive flange. The wheel won't fall off since that's retained by the big spindle nut, but you might end up with no power hitting the pavement if it slips out and starts spinning.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Bryan, like the other guys said, put the bolt in there and try to pop it out a bit. IT could just be wedged in a bit and stuck on the diff side. Mine were stuborn too.
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:14 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

i got new stub axles and needle bearings and had the same problem.i called northeast parts and was told there was only one size bearing.had to put the old stub axles back on.anyone one got the part #'s for the two sizes

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions