Help! Problem starting (95 SW) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:36 AM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Help! Problem starting (95 SW)

Hi,

thx to all those who gave me advice a couple wks ago I am now the proud owner of my first defender (a 95 SW). There were some issues and I've had a shop address all the problems (in particular, head/valve rebuild, radiator recored, vacumn advanced unit replaced, fuel pump replaced). I've just picked up my car on Monday but now I notice something I am not sure if it's normal and I was hoping all the experts could help me out again.

Basically I found that I cannot start up my car directly - if I turn the keys all the way I can hear the starter but the engine wont start most of the time . But I found that if I turn the key to the point where dash powers up, wait about 10 seconds, then turn the ignition all the way, then the car usually starts. I asked my friend who drives a 97 SW if his car has similar issue and he said no. Is this a normal thing for the 94s and 95s because they are manual or is it a real problem I should look at?

Fyi, the reason the fuel pump was replaced is because there was a hard start problem where the car wont start unless you gave a little gas. I had all the work done by a respectable shop (recommended by ppl from this and d-90 board) and the owner sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I trust him but am not sure if this is something he missed...

Please help!

Thx,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Was the fuel filter also replaced? It sounds like its' taking a bit to build good enough pressure.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

I think only the fuel pump was replaced...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Sounds like either a clogged filter or for some reason the fuel rail is loosing its prime. I'd do the filter first, and see if that helps.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

The reason we're guessing this is that the fuel pump starts up when you turn the key. If the filter is somewhat clogged, it takes awhile to get fuel through the system. Filters are a cheap and easy place to start.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
reaper99999
Eric Yip
95 Alpine White SW

Thx for your replies. So by that I guess you guys can startup you cars right away?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:05 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

LOL! I wouldn't go that far, in all conditions

But I know it's not a fuel filter.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper99999
Thx for your replies. So by that I guess you guys can startup you cars right away?

After three 2 years and 25K miles I have never had a problem starting up. When first looking at purchasing a D90 I heard stories of coil packs (in '97) failing, GEMS being crap, etc.. Nope. Totally reliable.

Just two glitches:

One winter day, started fine, drove for a mile, stopped at light, stalled, had trouble restarting but did so after two cranks, ran rough at idle but settled down within a minute. It was a very cold morning so could have been moisture/ice in fuel.

One fall day drove to DC from Boston, no problem, stopped for 15 minutes, went to restart, rough idled and stalled. Managed to get it going enough to pull into garage and went about business for the day. Eight hours later went to restart it and no problems. This was the biggest worry I've yet to have: 8 hours from Boston, heavy rainfall trough NYC and staying next to breakdown lane all the way just in case.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I just picked up my first D90 a month ago and had a stall problem that was diagnosed through this board as being flooded. I have always been tought to not touch the gas when starting a fuel injected engine as the computer will do the work. So I don't. I have not yet had your problem as I too just turn the key and crank it over, no problems. I will try to let the system prime itself first from now on but it should only take about one or two seconds, not ten. It's the sound the fuel pump makes when you turn the key to position two, and it only goes briefly. If you ever have the flooding problem, see the thread "Help, won't start."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
95, start, starting