Help please: '97 D-90 shift lever stuck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:53 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Help please: '97 D-90 shift lever stuck

I have a 1997 D-90 (automatic transmission) and the shift lever is stuck in Park. I drove the truck this morning and all was fine. I parked it for a couple of hours and tried to use it but found I can't move the shift lever from the park position. The truck starts right up and I am stepping on the brake pedal, but can't budge the automatic shift lever. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Probably that brake sensor or whatever it's called.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:58 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Sometimes there is a manual release for the shifter, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
Had it happen a couple of time on my 97 90. Brake light switch

here is the link to what we are talking about:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=4346
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Thanks for the replies. You guys were right, it is definitely related to the brake lights. The truck starts right up but the brake lights are not coming on. Is this a possible issue with a blown fuse, or is it the brake light switch? Any direction (ie. where to look) for further troubleshooting would be appreciated. Thanks Hardtimes for posting the link. I read the link and know that the switch is located on top of the brake pedal housing near the firewall aft of the master cylinder, but admittedly still don't really know where to look. Also, if it is a possible fuse, I saw a reference to another fusebox other than the obvious one under the hood. Any direction?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

see image.

The red arrow shows the location of the brake switch sensor... it sits right up against the firewall on the back side of that flat piece black (dirty) metal. One of the sensor wires and connector is also barely visible in the photo. It is a really difficult place to take a good photo, but if you look back there and move some of the hoses/wires out of the way you’ll find it.

The green arrow shows the location of the wire leads from the auxiliary light switch on the steering column... mine has a yellow wire nut on the end for easy identification for next time it dies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc (1).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	90127  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:46 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyt09 View Post
I have a 1997 D-90 (automatic transmission) and the shift lever is stuck in Park. I drove the truck this morning and all was fine. I parked it for a couple of hours and tried to use it but found I can't move the shift lever from the park position. The truck starts right up and I am stepping on the brake pedal, but can't budge the automatic shift lever. Any thoughts?
Are you sure this isn't the clip coming off in the shifter itself? I thought the car wouldn't start at all if the brake sensor was bad.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:57 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I had this happen to me once during a wheeling adventure (my only one.) I re-seated all the fuses and relays and the problem went away and never returned.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:02 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Thanks for the pic brettm. I located the wires and they don't appear to be corroded. I wiggled the wires and restarted the truck. It starts right up but no brake lights and no shifter movement. Is this a possible fuse issue or is it definitely the brake switch? If it's a possible fuse issue, please advise where the other fuses are located. Thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

As stated if your brake lights are not coming on your brake light switch has failed.
The power for the shifter solenoid comes from the switch, so if the switch is bad you will not have brake lights, nor will you be able to get the 90 out of park.

To cure it you will need to replace the brake light switch
or
unplug the brake light switch switch (red arrow in photo above) and connect the trucks Green wire to the Green/Purple wire at the switch.

This will bypass the switch and allow you to shift.
Sadly it will also put your brake lights on, so it is just a stop gap thing to allow you to get the 90 out of Park.

Its a common thing as 90s get older and is not a relay or a fuse.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Thanks to all for your help. I'll get it towed to the shop and replace the brake light switch. I appreciate all the input.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:29 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I recommend pulling the interlock solenoids. Both the one on the shifter, and the one on the T-Case. Its a little more involved than a side of the road fix, but is solves this problem forever.

As a point of reference, the first several years of the NAS RRC there weren't any interlock solenoids.

-Jeff
Even though you'll be able to switch out of park - the fix above doesn't address having no brake lights.

BTW - same thing happened to me last week - no brake lights, no shift out of park - I think it was the cold weather and fortunately it eventually kicked in - new switch is $35 - so I ordered one just in case.
Old February 24th, 2014, 03:50 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

here's a picture of the part for future reference anyone finding this thread. i keep an extra in my console

Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	90287
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
If you do not have a spare with you, bypassing the switch will allow the brake lights to stay on. As a get home remedy, I prefer this to disconnecting everything and having no brake lights at all.
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:14 PM
bradleyt09
Brad Taylor
'97 D90 ST

Ok, identified the switch thanks to Brettm's pics, shorted it and voila.....got her our of Park. Thanks to all for your help. Awesome community.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, d-90