Defender Source Forum banner

Help - Out of town with no Tools!

687 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bigdaddyolson 
#1 ·
I drove my 88 HiCap down to the beach for the summer and i ran into an issue that I need help diagnosing. Unfortunately i don't have any tools down here so i am having trouble even tracking down the problem is. Any and all help to get me pointed in the right directions would be much appreciated. Here are the symptoms:

• Was driving on the highway and i noticed i couldn't get over 50 (the 2.5TD only gets it to 58!)
  • I smelled hot brakes which would make sense so i pulled over.
  • But when I eased off the gas, the rig did NOT pull to either side to side and it seemed to roll without the brakes slowing it down.
  • When I crawled underneath, you could feel the heat coming off the left front hub and brake. It was noticeably hotter (smell, touch and pinging from the heat) than the right side.
  • I let it cool and nursed it home.
  • Same behavior on the way home - no pulling or dragging. But the left side remained very hot. Especially at higher speeds.
I also discovered I left the jack wrench at home :facepalm: so i couldn't jack it up and check how each wheel spins compared to the other. Or pull the tire off and inspect the breaks more closely. Going to take more tools down this weekend.

With all that said, I can't reconcile the heavy heat and the smell of burning break pads on only one side with the fact that it didn't pull to that side or slow the car when i was coasting to a stop.

What am I missing? Where should i look first?

See less See more
#8 ·
Once you get the means to lift the offending wheel so you can rotate it, take hold either side at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock rock back and forth about the center and feel for play, then repeat at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, if the wheel bearing is going out you will feel play. Then rotate and feel for any grinding. As ref perhaps do it on the other wheel FIRST and it should have no play or a lot less. If you find nothing of concern then check your swivel housing oil/grease levels with the truck on a level surface, could be that your low on the offending wheel.

Cheers

Fraser

#5 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but with a wheel bearing wouldn't you hear a whine or squeal and by swerving and loading/unloading the bearing it would stop and resume the whining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It's been a long time for me, but I can tell you that I had one get so hot the inner race welded itself to the spindle. It happened pretty quick after I heard the noise. I pulled over pretty quick and by the time it cooled and I got to a place to fix it. It was welded up tight. Had to get a new spindle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.