Help on Track Rod Assembly and Stabilizer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2013, 02:43 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Help on Track Rod Assembly and Stabilizer

After installing a new steering box about six months ago, I started to notice some play in the steering wheel. I never noticed it before, but couldn't swear it was not there. Mentioned it to my mechanic when I went for my New York State Inspection and he says I need a front tracking bar (I assume he means what most parts sites call a track rod assembly). He also says I need a steering stabilizer. My truck is an '84 ROW (rhd) d-90. Does anyone know who carries these parts or the part numbers. Is the assembly different for a rhd ROW truck? Does it (the track rod assembly) differ from the latter years (94-97). I was thinking maybe rovahfarm or roversnorth might have the parts, but I am open to suggestions. The mechanic just mentioned the front tracking bar, but I imagine that I should get the tie rod ends and the entire assembly as long as I am at it? By the way, if there are differing versions of the parts (ie heavy duty, standard duty, etc.), I would probably be ok with standard duty as my truck is a commuter, not an off road vehicle. Thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You don't need the whole bar, you just need the ends. On a 90, the one end is built into the drop arm (there is a rebuild kit) and the other is called a ball joint. If it is the one behind the axle, then it is just two ball joints one on each side. You can tell if the ball joints are bad by grabbing the rods and feeling for movement. The rubber boots being torn is another sign of possible failure.

Steering stabilizers I believe are the same across all defenders. Not sure how it could be bad unless it was leaking. Old Man EMU is my brand of choice for that part.

Everything is available at your preferred rover parts supplier (RN, AB, RDS etc.)
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ball joints are the same across the range of years / rhd vs. lhd defenders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if the ball joints are the same across the range of years / rhd vs. lhd defenders?
They are the same over the years.. Aftermarket available as well - with or without zierks.

RH or LH threads available

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
To be clear, one side is a regular thread, the other reverse thread. Offhand I can't remember which is which, but you will need one of each on the drag link (tie rod on both ends) and not sure which you need for the track rod.
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:27 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You need a new track rod if yours is bent. I would attempt to straighten one if I had one that was linked, but seeing that you are at a shop for the work they will replace a bent suspension part.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

track rod, tie rod ends, etc.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but evilfij mentioned /inquired (if I understood correctly) about my track rod being behind the axle. Mine is in front of the axle. Does this make a difference. I've attached two pics. Thanks for the help.Click image for larger version

Name:	tie rod 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	73651

Click image for larger version

Name:	tie rod 2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	73652
Old June 2nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Oh. OK, now I officially feel dumb. Thanks again. If the mechanic says I need a new front tracking bar and steering stabilizer, which one (tracking bar) do you think he means? Thanks again.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Just went out in garage to check. The bar behind the axle is rock solid with no play in it. The tracking rod in front of the axle with the stabilizer integral to it moves around... doesn't flop around... feels resistance, but does move substantially about an inch or two when you grab the track rod and pull or push. Also, the stabilizer does look a little scurvy... other than that, I can't tell if there is a problem with the stabilizer.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It looks like the boot on the steering drop arm has failed. You can see the gap in the picture. I assume there is play in it which is why your mechanic said it needed the track bar for inspection. It does not look bent which is what I could see as the other possible failure. The other side is too dark to see whether than boot failed. In any event, a "drop arm rebuild kit" and the ball joint on the other end of the axle and a steering stabilizer should fix your issue to get you through inspection. Any rover parts supplier should have them in stock. I will warn you, rebuilding the drop arm is a royal pain in my experience.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Yes, you are right, the boots have failed. It passed inspection, but the mechanic says it should be done.
Thanks Again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
assembly