help on interior upgrades for D90 hardtop - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
seriesgarage
John Bradley
1995 LR D90

help on interior upgrades for D90 hardtop

looking for input and photographs of how other D90 owners have outfitted their passenger and cargo area.

thoughts on sound proofing, rubber mats (front row one piece/full cargo), rhino lining/line x

seat recommendations for driver/passenger and 2 jump seats

tuffy boxes or other storage for rear cargo area

i've found old threads on some of these topics and thought it would be helpful for everyone to hear what's new, what's a waste of money and what's a must have.

mods are being done to a 95 D90 hardtop

your input and photographs would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2010, 09:47 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Take a look on Land rovers UK website and see what the 2010 model looks like. That might give you a few ideas.
Old November 5th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

I am currently working on a NAS 93 D110. I have coated the front and intermediate floor panels with Herculiner. I will then cover the floor panels, foot wells, seat box, etc. with sound deadening material from RAAM Audio, first a aluminum covered rubber and then their foam (each addresses different frequencies). RAAM appears to be much less costly then Dynamat and the owner was very helpful in discussing alternatives. I am currently looking for carpet sets for the front, intermediate, seat box sides and rear wheel boxes. After that, I intend to go with Exmoor front and intermediate seats. To dress up the rest of the interior, I have sprayed all plastic parts with SEM Plastic Bumper Paint, including a cubby box pieced together with bits from a D90 SW and the 110's. Intend to remove the headliner, get recovered locally, install upgraded interior lights with LEDs--but that is next week and wife is getting tired of the mess in the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
seriesgarage
John Bradley
1995 LR D90

thanks guys, i've check into Land Rover UK and wasn't surprised at the pricing on what they wanted for their updated interior options. i've searched around about the Herculiner and have found a lot of ticked off customers, so i'm leaning to just having it done through Line-X. Has anyone experimented with Land Rover seats or know anything about Troy Smiths Defender toolboxes from the Custom Mods section of the site? thanks!
Old November 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriesgarage View Post
thanks guys, i've check into Land Rover UK and wasn't surprised at the pricing on what they wanted for their updated interior options. i've searched around about the Herculiner and have found a lot of ticked off customers, so i'm leaning to just having it done through Line-X. Has anyone experimented with Land Rover seats or know anything about Troy Smiths Defender toolboxes from the Custom Mods section of the site? thanks!
I herculined my TJ (split a gallon with a friend and we did his YJ too). It wasn't terrible, but you definitely get what you pay for. After about 6 months or so i had worn through the driver's side footwell, Luckily I had kept some and was able to recover it a bit thicker. I ended up just pouring it on that high-wear area and let it dry for 3 or 4 days. Look at it as a "I cannot afford Line-X/Rhino so i'll do this instead" as opposed to an alternative...

---------------

not to hijack but- Anybody have any suggestions for a good (inexpensive) cargo box? I'd like to bolt something down to the one inner wheel-box next to a jump seat. It doesn't have to be metal (but would be nice), doesn't have to lock (but would be nice).
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I am currently working on a NAS 93 D110. I have coated the front and intermediate floor panels with Herculiner. I will then cover the floor panels, foot wells, seat box, etc. with sound deadening material from RAAM Audio, first a aluminum covered rubber and then their foam (each addresses different frequencies). RAAM appears to be much less costly then Dynamat and the owner was very helpful in discussing alternatives. I am currently looking for carpet sets for the front, intermediate, seat box sides and rear wheel boxes. After that, I intend to go with Exmoor front and intermediate seats. To dress up the rest of the interior, I have sprayed all plastic parts with SEM Plastic Bumper Paint, including a cubby box pieced together with bits from a D90 SW and the 110's. Intend to remove the headliner, get recovered locally, install upgraded interior lights with LEDs--but that is next week and wife is getting tired of the mess in the garage.
check out badger coachworks for new carpeting. very nice.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

Thanks for the badger suggestion. I have been talking to Chris over the past couple of weeks. In fact, I am mailing my original tunnel cover to him for him to use as a pattern.
Old November 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post

not to hijack but- Anybody have any suggestions for a good (inexpensive) cargo box? I'd like to bolt something down to the one inner wheel-box next to a jump seat. It doesn't have to be metal (but would be nice), doesn't have to lock (but would be nice).
PM AmityD90. He had something awesome in the back of his truck which he said was cheap as hell.
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the badger suggestion. I have been talking to Chris over the past couple of weeks. In fact, I am mailing my original tunnel cover to him for him to use as a pattern.
Excellent, I could use a new cover, as well. Is yours a 95? Guessing that wouldn't fit my 97. Then again, I have no idea.
Old November 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

The tunnel cover I sent him is for a 93 D110 -- LT77 transmission.
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

O.k. 2 cents:
Recovered both seats with Exmor Grey Vinyl Twill Trim and new seat bottoms. In addition added seat heaters from Cobraseat.
Next purchased Mud UK seat rails to give me more leg room and about 2 inches higher in the saddle.
Purchased the diesel 1 piece seat box cover as it is much thicker than stock.
Put in an Iron Goat dash and got rid of the cubby box so all my controls and radio are in front of the shifter.
Puchased a leather steering wheel, gear shift nob and transfer case knob and leather gaiter cover in black. Check out ebay and you find the gaiter cover.
I wanted to be able to still hose out the inside cab area so I did not dynomat it from the inside but instead insulated it from the bottom up - you can get a hight temp coating/sound deadening for the external surface.
I did replace the rear mat and dynomatted the inside of the tub under the cargo mat.
It is a soft top so sound deadening is like lipstick on a pig.
Old November 16th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
O.k. 2 cents:
Recovered both seats with Exmor Grey Vinyl Twill Trim and new seat bottoms. In addition added seat heaters from Cobraseat.
Next purchased Mud UK seat rails to give me more leg room and about 2 inches higher in the saddle.
Purchased the diesel 1 piece seat box cover as it is much thicker than stock.
Put in an Iron Goat dash and got rid of the cubby box so all my controls and radio are in front of the shifter.
Puchased a leather steering wheel, gear shift nob and transfer case knob and leather gaiter cover in black. Check out ebay and you find the gaiter cover.
I wanted to be able to still hose out the inside cab area so I did not dynomat it from the inside but instead insulated it from the bottom up - you can get a hight temp coating/sound deadening for the external surface.
I did replace the rear mat and dynomatted the inside of the tub under the cargo mat.
It is a soft top so sound deadening is like lipstick on a pig.
pictures???
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:47 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Mudstuff here in the UK do some nice moulded hard top side panel interior pieces. stops a lot of the noise and condensation.
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:53 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Mudstuff here in the UK do some nice moulded hard top side panel interior pieces. stops a lot of the noise and condensation.
Yeah, those are nice.. does anyone know who sells the larger mudstuff products in the US? I know EE has smaller items and Safarirover had the rear door trim..
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:05 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

FWIW I have purchased items directly from mud stuff several times and they have great service, shipping was fast and fair.
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

1. X2 on the seat rails.. I have them on both seats. (got them direct along with the stainless bolt for entire exterior)
2. I also have Webasto heated seats.
3. I would recommend getting additional lighting for the cab
4. Fire Extinguisher
5. I have a bench seat in the back, I plan to bolt in a Pelican case to keep stuff inside... (won't rust etc....)
6. Add a couple extra 12volt plugs
7. I would look up D-90 User TDI guy and ask for pics on how he mounted CB speakers on the interior (I will copy that as well)
8. Look up Melville Moon seat covers (best on market for Hard tops in my opinion) I will be making similar ones at work very soon (awaiting for my fabric to come in)....
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOB View Post
Yeah, those are nice.. does anyone know who sells the larger mudstuff products in the US? I know EE has smaller items and Safarirover had the rear door trim..

Mudstuff is always very helpfull, i can't see that he wouldn't send to the US, but if not then you can send it to my place and i'll forward it on.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Rocketman
Scott Y

I have ordered from Mudstuff twice. Shipping was vewry reasonable and the orders both arrived very fast. Last year I talked to the owner right after Overland Expo (in April in Arizona). I got the impression he was planning to attend.

Oh yeah, one of the orders included their new rear door card for a SW. Very nice product.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
I have ordered from Mudstuff twice. Shipping was vewry reasonable and the orders both arrived very fast. Last year I talked to the owner right after Overland Expo (in April in Arizona). I got the impression he was planning to attend.

Oh yeah, one of the orders included their new rear door card for a SW. Very nice product.
Excellent - having a new ignition coil and MAF shipped from the UK. If mud has good shipping rates, I might as well just do it. thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, hardtop, interior