Help needed!! Vehicle speed sensor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Help needed!! Vehicle speed sensor

So a couple weeks ago I was driving on the freeway up a grade and noticed that I had no power and had to floor it to get it up some minor hills. Later I hooked up my Faultmate to see what was going on. The faults it had was P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction and P1317 ABS Rough Road Line Low Fault. Now the Fault P1317 I have had for a long time (since I owned the truck actually), so I don't think that it has anything to do with my problem.

I replaced the speed sensor and I still have this problem. I have check the resistance on all the connections from the speed sensor to the ECU.

Also I have replaced the Speedometer about a year ago with a VDO programmable Speedo. Since the speed sensor signal goes to the speedometer first I thought this might be important. But the sensor worked fine for almost a year after replacing the speedo before giving out. It's also interesting that the speedometer works fine without any jumps or glitches.

Also, after I clear the fault codes, the truck runs great for a short while before it starts running like shit and the code comes back. This would seem to indicate that the problem is with the sensor, not another part of the engine. The rough road sensor code takes a lot longer to come back, and the crappy performance isn't linked to its appearance.

Everything looks good otherwise. Could I have gotten a bad (new) sensor? Does anyone have any suggestions where I should look next.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

What is the fuel pressure when it is running badly?

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
scope the sensor while driving to in order to see any discrepancies, all is well you should see a contiuos up and down pattern, when it fails you should see this pattern drop. if that is the case then you may have a bad sensor.
I cannot think of other way than to scope of graph the suspected sensor, but even then I would take a hard look at wires, possible do a wiggle wire test.
just ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Well after playing around with this for a few hours today. I asked Neill aka Navydevildoc to lend another set of eyes on this. We started out looking at the shop wiring diagrams and then compared it to VDO wiring diagram. Then we notice that there is no signal going to the ECU from the speedometer. So I put in the original speedo and that fix the fault, but now I have a speedo that is 12 mph off and the odometer doesn't work.

So now my question is there a pin on the VDO speedo that would give off a signal for the ECU? Has anyone with a 97 found a work around for this?

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

Same issue with my 97. Check engine light came on today with speed sensor code 0500. I changed to a VDO two weeks ago...how did you wire your VDO speedo?

John
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:19 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

I agree with you (crash303) I believe that it is the yellow lead that goes from pin 7 on the original speedo that is an output signal to the engine computer. The new speedo does not supply this signal on pin 7. I drove a little over 100 miles before my CEL came on. More time to work on this tomorrow.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:31 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Why swap to an aftermarket speedo?
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Well the reason I replaced it. Was the odometer LCD went out completely. So couldn't see how many miles were on it or trip miles.

Now this sounds kind like a hack job, but I spliced into the wiring harness of the speedo and ran four wires to my center console and wired up the old speedo and stuck in the center console. You only need the ground (pin 3 Black), power (pin 2 Green/white), Signal from the sender (pin 4 black/red) and signal to the ECU (pin 7 yellow/pink). Fixed the problem for now. I'm thinking about trying to take the guts out of the old speedo and but into a small box with a quality connector and stash it behind the instrument panel. If I do I will for sure post pictures.

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Josh-

I installed VDO gauges in my 97 about four years ago now with no issues at all since. I'm flying a bunch this week, but if I have a chance this weekend, I'll try and dig into my notes and see how I wired it all up and try to help.

I did most of the research into the install here on D-90.com VDO install threads, along with the little diagrams the gauges come with.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old April 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

my research tells me I need to put the yellow lead (ECU connection) on pin 8 along with the signal from the speed sensor. I am going to try this.
Old April 5th, 2011, 02:41 AM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

Working fine....no more Check engine light.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
4x4sche
john
73 SIII_ 97 D90_94 Disco

One more change

I forgot to mention that it is necessary to disconnect the power (green wire at sensor) and change this pin on the sensor to a ground connection.
Old June 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Anyone else come across the P0500 - Vehicle speed sensor A problem? Having no running issues at all, but switched to VDO Speedo about 500 miles ago. Keeps throwing this code out since about mile 300. Wondering if indeed the fix is just to move the yellow wire from pin 7 to pin 8.

Thanks so much in advance!
-Aaron

BTW - on a '97
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:03 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sche View Post
I forgot to mention that it is necessary to disconnect the power (green wire at sensor) and change this pin on the sensor to a ground connection.
I am now troubleshooting P0500 with the VDO. What was the final fix? WHat green wire at the sensor?
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

When doing the GEMS conversion I have heard a lot of the guys not connecting the speed input wire to the ECU at all. (since they are using the old style speedo and do not have the output signal) I haven't heard of them having problems, not that they aren't.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:43 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
When doing the GEMS conversion I have heard a lot of the guys not connecting the speed input wire to the ECU at all. (since they are using the old style speedo and do not have the output signal) I haven't heard of them having problems, not that they aren't.
The engine idle control won't kick in properly if the ECU doesn't know if the car is stopped.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:23 AM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

I connected the white green wire (original speedo to ECU) to the black red (VSS source) wire. So far no P0500 code. The VDO speedo is still weird. Idle seems fine for now. I did not move the solid green wire from the VSS to ground yet. However, I'm still getting a P1317(?) code that the rough road sensor is permanently grounded.
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:50 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Corrections above, the Yellow Pink connected to Black Red now. I drove about 50 miles today and the P0500 CEL came back. I'll put back the original speedometer for now. I'll just have to rely on the fuel gauge.
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMando View Post
I drove about 50 miles today and the P0500 CEL came back. I'll put back the original speedometer for now. I'll just have to rely on the fuel gauge.
How do you have the whole thing wired? The old posts have a lot of incorrect information.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 7th, 2016, 04:49 PM
MotoMando
Armando Centeno
1997 Defender 90 SW

Current Configuration

From Vehicle Bundle - to new connection:
Thin Black - Ground
Yellow/Pink - Black/Red
Black/Red - VDO Pin 8
Thick Black - VDO Pin 3
White/Green - VDO Pin 4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
sensor