Help Needed: Shift Lock Problem 97 Auto - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:54 AM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Help Needed: Shift Lock Problem 97 Auto

My stereo guy was working on my 1997 D90 today and once he finished we ran into an odd problem.

At first the tuck wouldn't start. Everything turned on fine, battery was fine, but nothing when I turned the key.

Some troubleshooting revealed that one of my fuses was out. This happened to be 15A fuse that controls the rear wiper, brake lights and turn signals.

I replaced the fuse and the truck started fine, but I couldn't shift out of park. I turned off the truck and noticed that the fuse I just replaced was blown. Replaced the fuse, tried again... and noticed that this time the fuse would pop when I hit the brake pedal. Started troubleshooting everything associated with the brake wiring and isolated the problem to the Auto Transmission shift lock.

On the auto shifter assembly, under the center console is a plug with 4 wires which leads to two wires which leads to the shift lock (solenoid I presume). I unplugged this connection and hit the brakes and the fuse didn't pop, but (naturally) I couldn't shift out of park.

So I am stuck... I can't figure out why the fuse keeps popping when I hit the brake pedal (which releases the shift lock). For the time being, my truck is immobilized

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2006, 01:24 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I had a similar problem once when I was working on the cd player. Make sure that any plugs he may have disconnected are plugged in the correct way (not upside down). Especially on the CD player. This can cause problems like you are describing.

Follow-up Post:

Check the radio wires too. Make sure they are not upside down.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM
fleabus
Dan

Thanks Shawn, but we didn't unplug any stereo wires. He was just re-routing some speakers and speaker wire.

Follow-up Post:

Over on DiscoWeb, I read that the 'Stuck in Park' syndrome can be attributed to a bad brake switch. Deos this sound about right? What confuses me iswhy the fuse that keeps blowing. Could a bad brake switch pop blow the fuse when the brake pedal is pressed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2006, 10:27 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Sounds like you have a grounding issue. Chafed wire for the brakes (positive), hitting the body or tub. It's certainly possible a wire was affected if he was just re-routing. I'd check the wire harness where it exists the frame in the rear and comes into the tub/rear of the brake lights.

Check the bulbs as well for your brake lights. This will indeed cause you to be unable to shift but doesn't explain the blown fuse.
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
fleabus
Dan

Thanks for the reply.

I am confused as to why the brake lights work fine and the fuse does not blow when I disconnect the shifter though. The bulbs are fine and when disconnected from the shifter, the brake lights work normally.
If there was a short in the brake wiring, I would expect it to pop the fuse when the brake lights went on.
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:16 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
It may help us to know more about what you had him doing in the 90. Was he under the center console much, was he in the doors? Just trying to figure out what he could have disturbed to cause this problem.
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
fleabus
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
It may help us to know more about what you had him doing in the 90. Was he under the center console much, was he in the doors? Just trying to figure out what he could have disturbed to cause this problem.
Good point... he did the following work:

Moved the rear speaker crossovers from behind the jump seats to under the CD player (in the center console). This involved running new speaker wire from the rear speakers under the tub and up into the center console.

Installed a custom bandpass sub box under the passenger seat and amp under driver seat. Ran cables through seat boxes into/through center console.

Incidentally, the stereo sounds great... just can't drive the truck

I am starting to wonder if there could be a short with the third light or rear wiper, but that isn't making a whole lot of sense either.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:24 PM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

same thing happened to me

Hi,
This happened last summer to me, that same fuse kept popping, it will diaable the truck due to the parking lock. The problem I had, and it took a while and some $$ to figure out, was that there was a short in the wiring for that circuit. Most likely you have a broken / corroded wire that may be touching metal or another wire. The wire for that circuit runs through the frame rails to the back of the truck which is a good place for wires to corrode / break.

regards & good luck,

Jan
Old July 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM
fleabus
Dan

Made some progress today... if we hook up just the leads for the shift interlock and remove the other wires from the harness by the shifter, the truck starts fine, brake lights work, and the shift interlock disengages. All other lights function as expected as well so I suspect these leads are for some other solenoid(s) in the shifter unit.

The question is what do these other leads do? Neutral safety switch perhaps? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 97 Auto?

-Dan
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:29 AM
fleabus
Dan

Problem Solved

Follow-up:
Turned out to be a chafed wire inside the gear selecter assembly. How random
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:21 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

You removed the whole lock right? More headache than it's worth.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags