Help Needed - NAS 110 New Style Door Sill Seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Help Needed - NAS 110 New Style Door Sill Seals

I am trying to replace the door seals on my 93 NAS 110. I ordered and got the ‘new style’ lower Sill Seals that attach to the door versus the body. The part number for the new style is ALR6250 for the front doors and ALR6251 for the rear side doors

1) The new style seal appears to be about 1” – 2” too narrow (front door) to span the door sill opening (unless you stretch the material a lot). What is wrong? Am I just not looking at the installation correctly? Is this the wrong part?

2) The rear side doors have the same problem but to a slightly lesser degree.

3) Is there a corresponding ‘new style’ part for the door seal that needs to match the new style sill seal and make up the difference (at the vertical edges of the door)?

4) Does anyone have a picture of these installed? A picture would be a big help.

5) Is there an ideal/optimum mounting position (left-right axis if you are sitting in the truck not front-to-rear) on the door to get the best fit and tight seal? Good to know this before drilling holes for the rivets.

I am almost ready to give up on this and put in the stock sill seals, but I have to think there is something obvious but just can’t see it. Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Anyone have any input on this? I am trying to install sill seals and have the same issues.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They appear stretched on my 90, at least when I took them off they shrunk and I had to re-stretch them for installation. I also installed with small "christmas tree" fastners instead of rivits for ease of installation/removal and elimination of extra metal in the door frame which might contribute to rust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks Jim, The ones I have are a little short and do not line up with the holes unless you stretch them like you say. Maybe that is just the way it is supposed to be.

Which way do they go on? With the vertical piece on the door side or sill side?

I also have another set that are a different design and to long, those must be the older style that mount to the sill.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The vertical piece goes towards the outside of the door, and I used a rubber mallet to pound in the x-mas trees (they were fat-headed x-mas trees).

Old April 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Got it! It took me a second to figure out the xmas tree thing...
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Indeed the shorter seals are the ones and work perfect when streched to align with the holes. It appears the engineers were actually thinking well when they redesigned the door sill seals.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Any pictures of these installed on a NAS 110?
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

I called George at RDS and he answered my original question a while back (I should have posted the solution to my own question... sorry). There are two foam 'blocks' that fit at each end of the new style door seal to fill the gap and seal up the space. I do not remember the part number, but contact George. If you are looking for a picture of the installation go to the ECR website and check out the photos of their work on ECR #151. There is a picture of the new style seals with the foam end pieces.
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I can't seem to find the picture you are talking about. Can you direct me to it or can someone post one? My new doors already have the rivet holes, but I am wondering how the foam blocks are supposed to be installed.

Thanks guys!
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Come on, I know someone must have a picture of this...

Thanks in advance.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Andrew,

I had to do some searching but attached is a photo off ECR's website of a door with the seal and foam blocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECR No 151 Euro Style Door Sill 2 v2.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	16828  
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Beautiful, Thank you! I searched all through their site, but couldn't find that. I thought I remembered seeing it once before too, but just couldn't locate it.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What holds the foam blocks in place? Doesn't look like that would hold up very well.

Also, what do you guys replace the body side seals with? Mine rusted away, and they appeared to help hold the lower triangular body panels in place so they need something to replace them.

thanks,
charles
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I just replaced them with the original seals. It is a one piece seal that just slides onto a flange. I used some black caulk when I installed mine to help keep them in place, and to prevent water from coming in between the seal and body. The triangle piece should be held on tight by rivets, but if the brackets are rusting out, it will become "loose".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, door, nas, nas 110, seals