Help - Need 97 Auto tranny cover/console - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM
jbgunner
Jeffrey Bender
1995 NAS D90

Help - Need 97 Auto tranny cover/console

Anybody out there have a spare tunnel cover and console for an auto ...preferably like those in the 97's ??? If so I need one
Best Regards, JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2006, 02:24 PM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

JB,

Are you doing a conversion to auto? I just completed one over the summer on a '95 NAS D90. The tunnel does not have to change. It is most helpful to get a shifter mounting bracket (FTC5193) and the center seat box cover (ASR1783) for a '97. The t-case shifter, the t-case console boot and knob, the shifter pod, the shifter illumination unit and bezel can all be gotten from a D1.

As for a console, I do have an extra fiberglass '97 auto console I would be willing to sell. This is the console that George at RDS sells, it is NOT a plastic original. This one is molded from an original '97 plastic LR OEM console. The shape is very good and it is actually stronger than the LR OEM unit since it is heavier. The color is pretty good to. The only drawback; it does not come with any of the hardware (screws, lock/catch, hinge, etc.) only the equivalent plastic components. The console also does have some minor 'mold' injection marks, specifically on the right top side near the shifter (it is only a visual issue). This console can easily be used for a conversion if needed. The OEM plastic console is a backordered part at LR dealers and costs $900+. George was selling his for around $800. You may find one for half that, but if you do, you got a good deal.
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:13 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I did see one on ebay from BW overland in ME a while back, it didn't sell... maybe he still has it.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Kip,

Does that RDS one have the cover? Is it same size as original?
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

The RDS fiberglass console came with all the equivalent pieces to the plastic OEM console:

- the large main console (has cutouts for lid tray, shifter pod, t-case shifter and fuse block).
- the outer "lid" shell (arm rest)
- the inner lid piece (the part that has the cup holders when lid is open)
- the radio cover (flips out)
- the inside tray (non-cd type)
- the fuse cover
- and the piece that holds the unit to the floor in the back (this is metal on OEM console).

All these pieces match size and shape as the original and color is decent. The material is a thicker fiberglass. George had a mold made from an original OEM console pieces.
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:13 PM
jbgunner
Jeffrey Bender
1995 NAS D90

Thanks Kip ...can you pm me and give me your phone number so we might be able to talk $ and or echange info about the box...Id love to see some pics if possible
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have seen the one in Kip's truck I couldnt tell the difference I thought it was from a 97 auto. However I think an autobox in a 90 is just no fun
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:10 AM
jbgunner
Jeffrey Bender
1995 NAS D90

I would say so as well...however its for a 110 project that is nearing completion. More of a grocery get'r that will only be wheeled on occasion. My 90 will suffice for the big stuff.
Old January 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

A 110 auto. Well, this is a nice switch. Now that I have had both a 5 speed and an auto box. I definitely like the conversion to auto, both on and off road... Other than my wife seems to want to drive the D90 more now that it has an auto!

I can take pics this evening of the RDS console. My D90 interior is torn apart right now, looking to install an underdrive, but I can take pics of the conversion showing the backet, shifter pod, middle seat box cover.

e-mail: khartzel@us.ibm.com
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:52 PM
jbgunner
Jeffrey Bender
1995 NAS D90

Thanks Kip I look forward to seeing them...send me pm with your phone so we can talk price
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:09 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Jeff, I sent you an e-mail with pics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, console, cover