Help - My 90's headlights don't work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:51 PM
solihul
Rover

Help - My 90's headlights don't work

This is an outline of the problem. Here is what happens with the switch that turns on the lights. If you pusth the switch forward to position one (parking lights) it works just fine. Continuing forward to position two (headlights) nothing happens. The stalk high/low switch will ONLY work when pulled all the way back for the temp hi-beam.

The fuses are all good and the switch is working...........any thoughts? The only other thing of note is that the foglight switch also stopped working. I've been through the wiring harness and have had some pretty skilled electrical guys looking at it.

Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The switch is working? This is the exact result I had when my switch melted. The switch has the positions, off, parking, and headlights - all contacts are in a neat little row of 3. The plastic holding the contacts got hot, got soft, and position 3 recessed itself in the plastic far enough that the switch lever did not make contact. I fixed the problem by putting a big blob of solder on postion 3, and later by replacing the swich.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:22 PM
solihul
Rover

What I mean by the switch working is that there is current with the switch all the way forward but NO difference between high and low (so nothing happens) You would expect a change when going from low to high. Also we did notice some charring or melting as you describe but we thought it was not significant to cause a problem.

I guess the best thing to do is replace the switch. Where did you get yours? Rovers Down South has some for a fairly good price.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:04 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

i agree with jim-they melt just enough to disable the switch but it does not look that bad when you go to look it over
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I'll 3rd it. Mine went tits-up last month. I rebuilt the switch with some bits I had about and epoxy. Yeah, I'm poor and cheap.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:27 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mine gave trouble with no signs of melting or anything. I sanded the contacts and put it back together - works great. I just keep some sandpaper in the D now just in case

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ht, lights