help! mirrors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:55 AM
wuswa
diana hehne

help! mirrors

I'm having a problem. I have bought a big trailer for (two) horses and need different mirrors because now I can't see whats happening behind my trailer. Does anyone know what kind of caravanmirrows are suitable for a defender?? Most of them dont fit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

wuswa,

Welcome to the D-90 Source. Have you looked at the convex mirrors that Expedition Exchange offers as a possible solution for you?

These mirror have a convex shape and provide a wide-angle view of the sides and road behind the D-90. It is a drop-in replacement for the factory mirror, and is easy to install.

I changed out my stock mirrors using these mirrors and they work great.

Cheers!

Edit - I have never towed a large trailer like you are talking about using these, so you may want to see if anyone else uses EE's convex mirrors for towing.
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I have the convexes on the 110 with the mirror mount set in (not fully out). Although they do help with seeing who's next to me I don't like the depth misperception. With the D90/auto, with regular mirrors, I can at least floor it and it will pickup nicely. The 110 Tdi is a slower mover so if I misjudge the distance I'm in trouble.

Also, be aware that totally replacing the driver's side with convex is not legal in most states here in the US. You may need to keep a regular mirror and also mount a convex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Monkeyboy

Really!? Sheesh, I supose I should read the rules before replacing both of the mirrors on our 90 with the convex ones....noooo, I'd never do that if it were illegal

Oh, and they've made a great improvement in my wife's parking "skills".
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:12 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I also recall a story of an insurance company refusing a claim because of a convex driver mirror replacement.

For me, they're more trouble than not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions