Help me pick new suspension setup - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2016, 07:19 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Help me pick new suspension setup

The suspension on my truck is shot. Original from 1991. I want to replace everything. My truck is making all sorts of clunking and banging noises when I let the clutch out fast etc. It sounds to me like the driveline shifting from worn bushings..

I do not want to lift the truck at all. I do not do serious off roading, mostly street driving. Some beach driving as well.

1. Shocks - Torn between Fox IFP that RN has for $500 vs Genuine Land Rover vs "OEM" replacement (Armstrong?). About $300 price difference between the Armstrong and Fox.

2. Springs - No lift OEM - Do I have to buy Genuine LR or will the replacement parts such as Bearmach be the same? There is a $200 cost difference

3. Bushing kit - Deciding between SuperPro ($250) vs OEM replacement. The Genuine are very $$$.

4. Engine/tranny mounts - I have heard the Bearmach are the best for the money for 200TDI. $20 for all 4 mounts is a great deal.

5. Rear suspension upper ball joint - My ball joint is destroyed. I am thinking to buy the one that includes the bracket ready to use. I watched the joint removal video and it looks like a real hassle to do it without buying the bracket. DA1129G seems like the correct part number. They also have a "high articulation" model. Not sure if this would benefit me at all or just be a waste.

6. Steering stabilizer - Assuming Armstrong OEM replacement for $15 would be just fine here. Any advantage to buy the Bilstein or any other aftermarket?

7. Sway bars - My truck doesn't have any. Worth installing? I assume so. If so which ones? Anyone make a decent OEM style kit that doesn't cost too much?

Anything else I am missing? Open to all suggestions. From what I can see I am at about $1300 for everything using LR genuine springs and Fox shocks, not including sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Anything is better than terrafirma, kudo's for not having those on your list.

Your x mod 90 likely wont have the brackets on the frame to add sway bars.If you want, the brackets can be bought from YRM and you can burn them on. Old man emu makes a great matched suspension for these trucks buts its pricey @ around $700.

Yeah you can feel a difference in the steering stabilizers but its a shock on your steering to eliminate off road kick back. Its not meant to fix on road manners. I ran a 130 for 6 mos without one, bent it and removed it on the trail, got lubricated around the camp fire that night and forgot about it for months of on road driving. Point is if things are tight and tires well balanced they serve little purpose.

The rear axle ball joint will make noise, if you aren't lifting the truck no need for a high articulation joint.
As far as the clunk when you let your clutch out goes, its likely the transmission output shaft splines and transfercase input gear. The early (pre 96) trucks all have this issue. Its far worse on manual trucks than auto's.
You can easily (30 mins) swap out the gear for a cross drilled one but if there is already a clunk the damage is done.

Bushings will make the biggest handling difference, the radius and trailing arm small ones aren't fun to replace. I'm partial to the soft "blue" ones if you go poly. The panhard ones are the most important to safe handling.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bushings make an amazing difference. My bias remains OEM.
Shocks: since you plan on street use, add Bilsteins to your shopping list. Better than OEM on road.
Springs: assuming no winch, and no major change in powertrain stock height, stock OEM does nicely. But is equivalent spec available from trusted brand, that ok to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
What would be the Bilstein shocks model # that would be close to stock height?
It seems that Bilsteins have been breaking often according to recent threads. Is this an actual issue to take note of?
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:58 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

The breaking Bilsteins were on lifted trucks and off road: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...res-72454.html

If I were not lifting or doing any crazy off road stuff I'd stick with OEM. Land Rover set up their trucks from the factory to handle 99% of what the average Joe is going to throw at them. If you're going to upgrade anything go with Bilstein 7100 shocks. And don't sweat the sway bars. I have a lifted 5 door and it does just fine without them.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:10 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Anything is better than terrafirma, kudo's for not having those on your list.

Your x mod 90 likely wont have the brackets on the frame to add sway bars.If you want, the brackets can be bought from YRM and you can burn them on. Old man emu makes a great matched suspension for these trucks buts its pricey @ around $700.

Yeah you can feel a difference in the steering stabilizers but its a shock on your steering to eliminate off road kick back. Its not meant to fix on road manners. I ran a 130 for 6 mos without one, bent it and removed it on the trail, got lubricated around the camp fire that night and forgot about it for months of on road driving. Point is if things are tight and tires well balanced they serve little purpose.

The rear axle ball joint will make noise, if you aren't lifting the truck no need for a high articulation joint.
As far as the clunk when you let your clutch out goes, its likely the transmission output shaft splines and transfercase input gear. The early (pre 96) trucks all have this issue. Its far worse on manual trucks than auto's.
You can easily (30 mins) swap out the gear for a cross drilled one but if there is already a clunk the damage is done.

Bushings will make the biggest handling difference, the radius and trailing arm small ones aren't fun to replace. I'm partial to the soft "blue" ones if you go poly. The panhard ones are the most important to safe handling.

Thank you.

I think the Old Man Emu all lifts the car otherwise I would consider it. I would never make it into my garage.

I have Bilstein 5100? on my Xterra. They aren't bad, feels about same to OEM. The Fox caught my interest because they aren't too expensive and know they are known for good stuff.

I will probably do the SuperPro bushings just because they will be easier to install and are known for good quality. Used them on Subaru's before with really good luck.

Ok on rear ball joint, ill get the good model regular articulation

Sucks to hear about the tranny/transfercase... Def sucks. Ill start planning aka saving.
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The standard Bilstein 4600 series works well on stock trucks.

Check out Bilstein Shocks, Sachs Shocks and much more: eShocks.com
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

I just did full bushings, shocks, coils, adjustable panhard, rear ball joint, steering rebuild.

Biggest pain was the bushings, I used poly yellow but if I gave to do it again, will use superpro blue poly.

Chisel, hammer, vise and torch is needed to remove the original bushes and steel outer shells. Or have a spare vehicle and take them all to a shop to be pressed out. If you press them out job is definitely easy, if you are cheap like me and remove them yourself it's considerably more work.

In your case I'd go land Rover coils, bilstien shocks, New steering damper, and a set of poly bushes.

Rear ball joint is a bitch even with the right tools. Most lr suppliers now carry them in the bracket. This is what I did, with the better articulating joint from gwyn Lewis UK.

Removing and replacing the radius Arms is a two man job to make it easy. Also a ratchet strap or cable come along can help pull the axle back to location when reinstalling
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:51 AM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The standard Bilstein 4600 series works well on stock trucks.

Check out Bilstein Shocks, Sachs Shocks and much more: eShocks.com
Wow that's a good deal. $362 shipped.
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:57 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
For the softest, most comfortable ride, buy the cheapest non-gas charged shocks you can buy. KYB, Monroe, Rancho RS5000...whatever. You can probably buy all 4 corners for $200.
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:09 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Ok I ordered everything. I went budget friendly but should still be good quality.

Bilstein 4600 shocks
RN Proline OEM style springs
SuperPro full bushing kit
Bearmach engine / tranny mounts
OEM A arm balljoint with mount
Armstrong steering damper

$980 shipped
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:46 PM
waveslayer
Bryan Hadley
1991/D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Ok I ordered everything. I went budget friendly but should still be good quality.

Bilstein 4600 shocks

$980 shipped
Where did you place your order at? I am looking for the exact same items for my 110. As soon as I get it running again
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:58 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post

Bilstein 4600 shocks

$980 shipped
Did you go thru Zack and get the forum discount? He's Z.G. on here.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
Did you go thru Zack and get the forum discount? He's Z.G. on here.
Yes, he did
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:19 PM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Yes, he did
Sweet!

It was good chatting with you a few minutes ago, and I'm looking forward to my quarterly "Care Package".

Old August 15th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

You may also want to pick up a set of turret retaining rings, the old ones will probably be crap. It was easier for me to snap off the old studs rather than take the nuts off, but mine were heavily rusted.

Oem height Springs will be super easy to change, no coil compressor needed... Just a pry bar to pop them out when the suspension is a full droop
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
for $45 plus about another $50 for UPS shipping this is hard to beat. We have been galvanizing oem turrets and spring cups but for the $ this makes better sense.

Galvanised Shock Absorber Turrets with fitting Kit - Paddock Spares

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old August 15th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Agreed Doug, especially with the new galv spring seats
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:29 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
for $45 plus about another $50 for UPS shipping this is hard to beat. We have been galvanizing oem turrets and spring cups but for the $ this makes better sense.

Galvanised Shock Absorber Turrets with fitting Kit - Paddock Spares
Mine looked to be in good shape looking outside in, but ill trust you. I want this install to be as painless as possible. Going to find a shop that can press all my bushings out while waiting for delivery.

Just ordered came to $77 shipped.
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Here is the rear kit.... Galv Rear Spring Seat Fitting Kit - Paddock Spares

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions