Help me pick new suspension setup - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Awesome. Grabbed that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Mine looked to be in good shape looking outside in, but ill trust you. I want this install to be as painless as possible. Going to find a shop that can press all my bushings out while waiting for delivery.

Just ordered came to $77 shipped.
If you want to make it painless, definitely press out the bushings the day before... From everything. That way all you have to do is assemble.

Leave the driveshafts connected to keep the axles, semi in place.

Buy a pot of silicone based poly bushing grease, you will need a bunch, also buy some good quality red locktite if you plan to reuse the nuts from everything.

I also marked all my nuts and steering parts with a paint marker after tourqeing (sp?) so I could visually inspect if they had backed off.
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:27 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Just wanted to update. Finally got all this stuff installed except for the engine/tranny mounts. (The one bolt on tranny is a PITA).

Proline RN springs
Bilstein shocks
New front and rear spring seats
Superpro bushing kit
New A arm mount/balljoint
Armstrong steering damper
Adjusted steering box
Alignment

WOW what a difference. Night and day, like a new truck. It rides really nice, handles good. My driveline makes way less noise now too. I have had it on the beach a few times, it is great there too. My fiance says it rides better then my daily driver. I think I made the right decision. It came to about $1100 for all parts.

I was also torn about the polybush vs oem style until now. The Superpro bushings feel very high quality. Some poly bushings feel like they will crack, like plastic. These were great. Install was a pain in the ass. When trying to use the press to get them in, they kept flexing. I used an adjustable piston ring compressor to help keep there shape when pressing them. That especially helped on the two A arm pieces. The ride is great, not stiff. I think I will get a lot of life out of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2016, 07:38 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
Just wanted to update. Finally got all this stuff installed except for the engine/tranny mounts. (The one bolt on tranny is a PITA). Proline RN springs Bilstein shocks New front and rear spring seats Superpro bushing kit New A arm mount/balljoint Adjusted steering box Alignment WOW what a difference. Night and day, like a new truck. It rides really nice, handles good. I have had it on the beach a few times, it is great there too. My fiance says it rides better then my daily driver. I think I made the right decision. I was also torn about the polybush vs oem style until now. The Superpro bushings feel very high quality. Some poly bushings feel like they will crack, like plastic. These were great. Install was a pain in the ass. When trying to use the press to get them in, they kept flexing. I used an adjustable piston ring compressor to help keep there shape when pressing them. That especially helped on the two A arm pieces. The ride is great, not stiff. I think I will get a lot of life out of them.
Sweet.
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quick question. When you pressed out the old oem bushings did thr metal external sleeve come with it?

I ask because putting in the polys should be easy, like by hand. I'm reading that you had to use press and thinking that the outer steel sleeves were still there?maybe your brand is different?
Old September 12th, 2016, 08:30 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Quick question. When you pressed out the old oem bushings did thr metal external sleeve come with it?

I ask because putting in the polys should be easy, like by hand. I'm reading that you had to use press and thinking that the outer steel sleeves were still there?maybe your brand is different?
Yes, the metal sleeve came out with the original bushings. I used a HF 20 ton press. Getting the old bushings out was easier then putting the new ones in. I bet metal bushings would have been easier to reinstall. (with a press)

The only easy ones to reinstall were the inner lowers that attach to chassis, and the rear lower since that was a 2 piece. The rest were one piece and were are VERY precise fit, even with the supplied lube. Once one side of it got into the hole, they went easier. These have a lot of give for poly. The bushing kept wanted to go sideways and come out. All went together nice. I thought I thought I took a couple pics of the bushing install but my phone says otherwise. I think these things are going to be the exception to the 'No Poly Bush' rule.

Old September 12th, 2016, 11:02 PM
Naplm00
Matthew

Ah you went really superpro, they do fit tight.... Or. Maybe I'm spending too much time in the gym...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions