Defender Source Forum banner

Help me out with some newbie defender issues

4K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  ron 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Just got my brand new well sort of 97 defender 90. It's a white station wagon 4 liter auto. This looks like a sight full of knowledgable people so i was wondering if you could sort out a couple dumb newbie questions. Doe your defender have a seperate key to lock the doors in addition to an ignition key? The previous owner gave me only one key and it does not seem to lock the doors. What are the electronics that are under the passenger side seat? Do you even have any electronics under yours? Where is a good place to order parts and acessories aside from roverparts? Thanks I appreciate it!:)

#3 ·
Russell, Yes, there should be 2 keys, one for the ign. and another for the doors. I am not sure what the electronics under the pass seat are, maybe some aftermarket stuff. Maybe some '97 guys can answer that better. For parts try Rovers North and Atlantic British. You will find them and more in the vendors section of the site. Let us know if you have any other ?s, we will be happy to help:) I will keep an eye out for you in JAX, we are moving back to Ponte Vedra after being away for 2 1/2 years. Should be down in the next month or so! Enjoy your new toy!

#8 ·
rustydefender said:
Hey guys, Just got my brand new well sort of 97 defender 90. It's a white station wagon 4 liter auto. This looks like a sight full of knowledgable people so i was wondering if you could sort out a couple dumb newbie questions. Doe your defender have a seperate key to lock the doors in addition to an ignition key? The previous owner gave me only one key and it does not seem to lock the doors. What are the electronics that are under the passenger side seat? Do you even have any electronics under yours? Where is a good place to order parts and acessories aside from roverparts? Thanks I appreciate it!:)

Check the "specials" section for good places. Just about all retailers worth their salt are listed there.

As Mike H. said, that's your BCU. You'll notice the ABS wires going out of it. It basically keeps your check engine light from throwing. If you ever take your truck wading, make sure you have it wrapped up.

Yes, seperate keys. Don't lock yourself out. Sounds like you might be buying some new lock cylinders unless you know a locksmith.

#10 · (Edited)
Great, I guess I'll be making a phone call to the guy he only gave me one ignition key. Ponte Vedra, cool, I live on the west side but during the summer we spend alot of time up there I have no doubt I'll miss a bright yellow d90. By the way you don't happen know if there is anybody else from the jacksonville area on this forum

#11 · (Edited)
Havn't noticed, but there are plenty of Florida guys. I know there is another AA yellow in PVB, a '97 I bought my hardtop from. I was down this wknd and saw his daughter driving it. And there was a guy in Jax beach I think with a red '95. Also seen a 110 cruising the beaches on occasion. I have seen a white wagon in PVB, wonder if it is the one you bought? Look forward to meeting you.

#12 ·
Lock tumbler sets are surprisingly easy to change, did all 3 doors on mine in about an hour and a half, including figuring out how to do it. But you do need to drill 1 hole on one of the inner door panels that is covered by the trim.

Just remember, you can't lock the doors unless they are closed. You have to get out and lock it with the key.

-Hans

G
#14 ·
I have one of those SW 97 defenders with the secret wires under the seat too . My ignition key locks the front doors. A shorter key does the rear. You have to turn the ignition key to the left/counterclock to lock. Under the seat you have something that looks like a stereo amp, thats the stereo amp. And the other thing that looks like a flux capacitor ,well you will need to talk to NASA about that. No just joshin, its the ECU. Electronic control unit. It seems during the mid 90s landrover north america was chosen as the test platform for a new hands free electronic steering system. The system was a total flop when the cars kept veering into the opposite lanes to intercept oncoming traffic. Most of the units were later removed under warranty.
PS I drink way to much night time cold medicine. JP
And Im just playin, welcome to the 90 site.

#15 ·
On a 97' you can lock the doors without the key. You need to hold down the outside button while pushing down the interior lock button. That's how I locked myself out once, and I just ordered door key blank from George at Rovers Down South so I can stash one on the chassis. You should be able to unlock the door withe the ignition key, but hey it's a Land Rover, so it will work on some and not on all. Same reason why I can unlock any (well all 3 that I tried it on) Defender doors with my ignition key. Welcome to the club, enjoy the new whip.

#16 ·
Hey, I only got one key with my Defender! It starts the engine and opens the driver's door. Otherwise I'm SOL :)

I wonder if the driver's lock has been re-keyed or is just junk and could be opened with any key (yikes!) -- better check that....

Eric Siepmann said:
See mike's post. Doors have a separate key. Roversnorth is usually very good for parts and a good start for accessories.

EWS

#17 ·
My 110 will also lock the doors by holding the outside button in while you press the inside button. So maybe this applies to all NAS Defenders?

I had to go check if my ignition key would open any of the other doors. No luck - was starting to think that maybe this was like the Kryponite locks that can be opened with Bic pens :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.