Help me identify these two separate issues with steering and prop shafts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2014, 05:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Help me identify these two separate issues with steering and prop shafts

I have two minor concerns about potential issues that I'd like to take care of before my 3000 mile road trip to Overland Expo. I'd love to get some opinions on what they might be.

1. On occasion when I do I full turn there is loud clunk in my steering linkage somewhere. The strange thing is that its not every time, it just happens on occasion. It concerns me because have had steering issues before (from off road abuse I suppose) when the drop arm dropped out. It has since been replaced. Any idea what this loud clunk could be? To my knowledge it only happens on full extension of a turn.

2. The truck shudders/vibrates when accelerating under load (uphill, etc). It does not shudder when coasting or driving downhill. I thought it might be the prop shafts but I replaced both prop shafts with new, balanced ones last year and there's no play. Any ideas what might be causing this? Should I take off the drive shafts and have them checked?

Is it possible that something else is causing these clunks and vibrations?
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:14 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Sometimes, not always, the CV joints will cause clunking noises when at extension and cause vibrations at odd times. Overlooked in Defenders as they are buried in the axel case. They do this on VW's and are more obvious as they are external. You may want to try to isolate the source of vibration, left right, front rear.
Old March 1st, 2014, 06:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
shudder sounds like pinion angle issue. Is your truck lifted ?

Steering pop sounds like panhard rod bushings or bolts.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2014, 06:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I've always found it's not one problem...every freakin thing on a vehicle is one contributing problem away from failure. You, most likely have more than one thing going on...
Old March 1st, 2014, 08:17 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Your description matches up with what was a faulty cv on mine. I drove it for a little while until I was able to determine which one was the culprit. Once I pulled it apart it looked like I could have driven quite a few more miles before total failure took place.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:01 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks guys. Great feedback. CV's are on my suspect list as they are one of the few things never serviced during my ownership. How do you check for wear on them and what does service involves? No lift on my truck, just stock height with OME springs & shocks. Could be linkage bushings or bolts. I will go through them and check.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:08 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On the second one. Had similar symptoms which were very puzzling until we spotted a couple of bolts missing between the driveshaft and LT230.....
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ouch. Going to check all the prop shaft bolts.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:49 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
On the steering clunk - How are your swivel bearings?
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:53 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The chase is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but shooting from the hip, the pop might be CV or it might be panhard or radius bolts. The shutter? My first thought was clutch. -Jeff
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Should you go the SLC way and have any interest in convoying rest of way down be glad to do so. Chasing electrical issues now in attempt to be "set" to go.
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

No idea. How do I check them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
On the steering clunk - How are your swivel bearings?
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:02 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think sharp right but need to verify as it only happens occasionally and I'm having a hard time replicating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Is the pop from one specific side or the other? Is it when turning sharp in either direction, or just right or just left? -Jeff
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks! I will check and tighten all bolts first then lift and check bearings.
Old March 1st, 2014, 11:37 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Carl, I recently had a similar problem it ended up being the CV's and swivels...more swivel than CV IMO but I'm no mechanic...I would start with swivel. If you don't get to the CV's I'm bringing my trail spares so you're covered at the Expo! lol...
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:59 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Bill! I've read all the Death Wobble threads by now. Not certain that is what I have but it has given me a better idea of the checklist to go through. I like the idea of ruling out the simplest and easiest things first then progressively move towards the more time consuming adjustments.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:03 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I echo Uncle Douglass. The best way to check your steering is to put a hand on and visually observe each componentwhile someone turns the steering wheel left/right.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
I echo Uncle Douglass. The best way to check your steering is to put a hand on and visually observe each componentwhile someone turns the steering wheel left/right.
Old April 28th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Well, I've eliminated the swivel pin bearings from the suspect list. A big thank you to Brian at Defenders Northwest for donating his entire Sunday, for letting me use his shop and for guiding me through the Swivel Pin Bearing and Seal replacement process. Thanks!
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The pop/clunk while making a full turn came back so I thought I'd make another attempt to chase down the issue. Could it be the track rod or drag link bushings? In terms of steering bushing replacements what are the usual suspects that tend to wear out first?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions