Help me identify these two separate issues with steering and prop shafts - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

So I still haven't fixed the clunk but I am ordering a full set of front bushings. I'm convinced that the clunk is a bushing or rubber component in the steering linkage. Here's another clue to the riddle. It only clunks when making a full left/right turn when WET. When it's dry out it doesn't clunk. When it rains it clunks.
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I didn't see if you've already checked the radius arms but crank those bolts down tight!
The 2 on the axle end and the big nut on the frame end.
Mine had a terrible clunk for 6 months because some bozo forgot to tighten em good (that would be me)

Mine looked good, had plenty of thread through the nuts, but when I finally went to tighten them they turned another turn or 3 and the clunk was gone.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old September 25th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Will do!
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

My radius arm bolts have seized so I'll have to work on them but it looks like the rear driver radius arm bushing is loose because it has visible gaps in it. It is supposed to be compressed, right? What happens if it loose? Could the rear radius arm be causing a clunk noise when turning? It only happens when it's wet which tells me it must be a rubber bushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I didn't see if you've already checked the radius arms but crank those bolts down tight! The 2 on the axle end and the big nut on the frame end. Mine had a terrible clunk for 6 months because some bozo forgot to tighten em good (that would be me) Mine looked good, had plenty of thread through the nuts, but when I finally went to tighten them they turned another turn or 3 and the clunk was gone. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1298043220.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	161738  
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
My radius arm bolts have seized so I'll have to work on them but it looks like the rear driver radius arm bushing is loose because it has visible gaps in it. It is supposed to be compressed, right? What happens if it loose? Could the rear radius arm be causing a clunk noise when turning? It only happens when it's wet which tells me it must be a rubber bushing.
That is definitely not right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions