Help - Massive smoke and loss of Power!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 28th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

Help - Massive smoke and loss of Power!!

I just filled up my '88 Land Rover 90 2.5 NAD with Diesel this AM on the way to work...drove the last 1/2 mile to work and parked. No Issue. Coming home tonight I got about another mile, then massive loss of power and black smoke billowing out the tail pipe...I was able to drive the 10 miles to my house, but max speed I could obtain was only 30 MPH.

I bought my fuel at Shell 57525710406 Quality Mart #43, 2007 Presidential Drive, Durham NC. I purchased 9.62 gallons, which means there were about 4 gallons in the tank before I pulled in. What do I do now? I can't drive it the way it is....

My gut tells me this is a fuel issue (it has been fine to this point).

Only other extraordinary thing is that here in NC we have a record heat wave, and temp at time of incident was 97 degrees Farenheit. It still idles fine, but you can't believe the black smoke and the soot in the tail pipe...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Tom, listen to me very carefully (your life could hang in the balance) as quickly and calmly as you can (and without frightening your wife, kids and neighbors) RIP that hideous lump of shit from your motor bay!!! Now be careful, it's still dangerous, take it to the nearest recycler and pay extra for proof it was melted down.

Next comes the easy part just put something hell anything else in there for a power plant like a 200/300 tdi, and LS1 or even an old Rover V8, shit even a couple of hamsters on crack will be better than that evil 2.5 na.

Good luck and Godspeed,
Raub
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ouch...Lets rub it in.

You really did put diesel into it right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2016, 04:47 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Tom, listen to me very carefully...RIP that hideous lump of shit from your motor bay!!!
Good luck and Godspeed,
Raub
Next you'll be saying the 30 MPH home was record high speed for the 2.5 N/A which is actually close for many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1090 View Post
I just filled up my '88 Land Rover 90 2.5 NAD with Diesel this AM on the way to work...
Sounds like one of your injectors has failed and you're pumping raw fuel through it most of the time the engine is running.
Easy test with the engine running crack the injector lines one at a time up at the top of the injector and see if it makes a big difference to reduce smoke when one is open.
Also the engine should run rougher with a line cracked.
If it doesn't you've found the bad cylinder and hopefully it's just the injector.
A diesel shop can pop test it and make sure it sprays properly and if not rebuild it with a new nozzle.

Adding a sedimenter will catch moisture and particulate which may have caused an injector to stick open.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 28th, 2016, 04:53 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Tom

I've had a similar experience on another diesel engine going down the freeway and I would check immediately for any obstruction or constriction in your air filter/intake and the delivery hose system as you appear to be getting starved of air, hence the soot.

Let us know.

Cheers

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:42 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
THat sux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Tom, listen to me very carefully (your life could hang in the balance) as quickly and calmly as you can (and without frightening your wife, kids and neighbors) RIP that hideous lump of shit from your motor bay!!! Now be careful, it's still dangerous, take it to the nearest recycler and pay extra for proof it was melted down.

Next comes the easy part just put something hell anything else in there for a power plant like a 200/300 tdi, and LS1 or even an old Rover V8, shit even a couple of hamsters on crack will be better than that evil 2.5 na.

Good luck and Godspeed,
Raub
^THIS^ ROFLMFAO.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Check the valve lash first. You might have dropped an intake cap.

If that is fine, pull the injectors and get them pop tested. Check compression while they are out.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Black smoke means mega fuel,so not likely tied to your fill up. Take Roberts advice on trouble shooting which injector. Fast fix will likely be to get yourself an injector.
I have seen injector tips come off and do exactly as you describe.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

And the Golden Rover Award Goes to - Fraser61 from Katy Texas!!

So while I found all of the responses to be fun, in this case, it looks like Fraser61 has the right answer.
My experience with diesels told me the same thing, but the timing with the AM fuel fill was just too much of a coincidence to pass by AND I had just replaced the air filter 3 months ago.

SO, I went an pulled the wire-fiber hose that runs from the filter housing to the air intake manifold....interior of the hose had partially peeled off forming a stiff flap that had obstructed 90 % of the airway to the intake manifold. I have been noticing more smoke under load than I would like for the past months, but just thought 'That's the way it is'. This motor does not burn any oil at all...so I knew it was something with combustion, but it sounds good, starts on the switch and idles smooth AND had a new filter. My guess is that it has been partially blocked for a while and with the really hot day here in NC, it softened things up a bit and suction pulled the interior lining off the wire tube wall to block the intake tube, and bingo, lots of smoke and no HP.

I have been told to covert the motor to a boat anchor, but the damn thing runs so well...and I don't have a boat.

Now I need to get a new hose (somewhere) and check this out to be sure I have truly fixed things.

And to Fraser61...next time I am in Katy we will swing out to Austin's in Eagle Lake for lunch...I used to haul 35 lbs of sausage in my duffel bag back to Raleigh with me at least twice a year, but I don't work in Rice anymore, so don't spend much time SW of Houston any more.

Thanks to all for the help...anybody have a spare air intake hose they can sell me?

Old July 29th, 2016, 06:04 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Tom, I may have what you need. Can you post a pic of what exactly you're thinking about? I can probably get it shipped today if we connect early enough.

Old July 29th, 2016, 11:06 AM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Tom

Your welcome, glad to see it was the root cause and yes a trip to Eagle Lake would be nice.

Cheers

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

Photos of Air Passage Tube from Filter Canister to Manifold

As discussed, here are a couple of photos of the (assumed) offending piece.

I contacted Paddock Spares, and what they showed me looked more like a radiator hose than what I have, but maybe that is the replacement piece? Anyhow, this is what is currently in the truck. Anybody got something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	154732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1291.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	154733  

Old July 29th, 2016, 12:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

That hose looks like WWI surplus retro-fitted.
Glad you found it and the fix will be easy.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:21 PM
speedpin
Adam
1986 110

Registry
I have a few of those (its rubber hose with reinforces metal coil). I will be headed 95 south to Camp Lejeune tomorrow can meet near 95 S by Wilson. 2:00 ish. or pm me your address , I can ship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment712BRT6P.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	154735  
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:25 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1090 View Post
As discussed, here are a couple of photos of the (assumed) offending piece. I contacted Paddock Spares, and what they showed me looked more like a radiator hose than what I have, but maybe that is the replacement piece? Anyhow, this is what is currently in the truck. Anybody got something?
Tom, got your PM. I will double check when I get home but I believe I have the original hose in very good condition. I'll PM you tonight.

Old August 1st, 2016, 06:34 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

Got the part from Speedpin in the mail today, popped it in and Voila...problem solved. Actually, it has never run better, less smoke, more power and I bet I'll even get a bump in the fuel economy. I'm guessing this has been a problem for a good long while....really glad it was such an easy fix, and the new (used) hose looks like it should have a lot of longevity in it...Thanks to all for the comments/support...
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Fantastic teamwork and result.
Old August 1st, 2016, 06:50 PM
speedpin
Adam
1986 110

Registry
Glad to hear tom. Rover on.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions