HELP!!! Long term storage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Angry HELP!!! Long term storage

Alright, I just found out I am being sent on a special one year project for my company, and I dont think I will be able to take the 90 with me. Does anyone have any advice, checklist or solutions for storage. I think the only time I may see the 90 again is for MAR in October. With the amount of military guys in here, some one has put thier 90 on blocks for a while.

Matt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
You can ship it to me... I'll use it everyday so you don't have to worry about anything gumming up the engine...

Seriously though, if you search google for "storing a car", I'm sure you'll find a whole bunch of stuff. Goodluck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I would stick it in a storage unit (The cheap outdoor garage looking ones) with a lock until you get back. Maybe give a key to a good friend so they can get in if necessary or maybe to drive it once in a while. When you get back I'd change all the fluids and anything else that makes sense (maybe belts? I've got no clue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2005, 06:03 PM
priest944
Jay H
95 D90 SW

About 3 years ago, I did exactly what Jesse recommended. I got a storage unit big enough for the vehicle, I put one of those tough disc shaped locks on the rolling door, disconnected the battery, and came back 7 months later. Everything was fine, except I had low tire pressure.

I only did this because I didn't have anyone out here to take care of the car or a good place to park it. If I had family around, I would have just parked it, covered it and had someone start it/drive it around the block every few weeks.
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

I store a car for 6 months every year. Here's what I do:
Change engine oil & filter / If your diff's or trans fluid is old change that too
Disconnect battery
Add gas stabilizer and top off gas tank (to prevent condensation)
That's it. It would be a good idea to get someone to start it every two weeks or so. Let it get good and warm and move back and forth to get the trans and diffs moving. It's better not to start it at all than to start it and not let warm up. If it doesnít get hot enough condensation will form in the exhaust, which is bad.
If you can't start the engine then squirt some Marvel's Mystery oil in each cylinder. Remove the coil wire and crank the engine to lube the cylinder walls. This is supposed to prevent rusting on the cylinder walls.
Hope this helps.
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Smile

Great ideas, Thanks.

Matt...
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Defender50th
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow

My Defender 50th Limited edition is in storage for 10 months of the year. Have no problems leaving it. It is in a dehumidified garage and conected to a battery conditioner and thats it.

Best regards

James
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:19 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Wherever you store it, make sure the location is mouse-proof.

Out in the sticks where I am, mice seem to move into the engine compartment of any vehicle left standing more than a few days. 'did some real damage bulding a nest in a carburator once.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would not just start the truck, but would actually run it until the exhaust has fully heated up otherwise you will get condensation in the exhaust and muffler and it may rust out. Everything else recommended sounds good. I might put mine on blocks under the frame to help relieve sag on the springs, but I am not sure about that.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:49 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Hey Matt - If you store it up near me I'll drive it once a month for you. I'm about 2 hrs from you.
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Eric_S
Eric
'97 D-90 ST #1507

BarryO-
Good point about the mice! They can cause havoc building nests and gnawing electrical wires.
Iíve heard that itís actually better to leave the weight of the car on the suspension. So have the jack stands under the axels not the frame. Anyone know for sure? Iíve never had a problem getting ďflat spotsĒ on the tires, another reason to have the car up on stands. I think the old bias ply tires would get "flat spots" but new radials arenít prone to this problem. Then thereís urban legend about the guy whoís garage caught on fire and his car was on jack stands so he couldnít get out of the garage and he watched it burn.
Placing a bag or two of lump charcoal (not the matchlight briquettes but the real deal) will keep funky odors at bay
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
jabber
m j

http://autorepair.about.com/od/carcare/a/storecar.htm

http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk15.html

Lots o info just googling around...
Old March 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Phil,

I would need you to take it to MAR for me then so I could fly in hit the trails and fly out again.

Matt...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions