Help!! Let out clutch, POP, no go.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is not terrible other than the big nut. No worse than any other manual transmission.
The way I look at it... If the guy is talking about buying a rebuilt gearbox, then he probably does not have the skills/experience/confidence to do it himself... and suggesting that he replaces the mainshaft, which is basically a rebuild does not make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
so i need a main shaft and seals assuming bearings are all good.
Replace all bearings if you are going in there.
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Disassembly and reassembly are pretty standard stuff, but the main difficulty is getting the press-fit bearings off the shaft. The manual will steer you towards a hydraulic press, which is great if you have access to one. I usually wind up using my giant three arm puller, which tends to pull the outer cage off with the roller bearings spewing all over the floor. Once off tho the puller can often be reset to grab on the hips of the inner race and the mess finally yanked off. Clearly this would require fresh bearings.
You will also find that a REALLY GOOD set of large snap ring pliers is a good thing to have.
If you are going all in with an LT230 rebuild as well, then you will absolutely have to have them.

I know it's tempting to do this yourself and that the experience will do you some good to both your psyche and your ego, but the reality is that the Ashcroft deal is probably going to save you in the end. They will have the tools and materials on hand that you just don't. You get a complete transmission in a box all ready to install. The last thing I rebuilt (LT 230 back in December) took a week and a half over evenings and weekends. Most of that was spent cleaning.
The other point is that the Ashcroft box will be done completely, whereas you may just focus on the broken part which means things like the oil pump, the selector mechanisms and the little odds and ends like detent ball springs get reused or ignored. Something to consider what with all the effort this can require.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am curious what the cost of the parts for the rebuild are (assuming you do the same level rebuild as Ashcroft does)? Sometimes they are high enough to make doing it yourself pointless unless you want to do it for fun.
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I am curious what the cost of the parts for the rebuild are (assuming you do the same level rebuild as Ashcroft does)? Sometimes they are high enough to make doing it yourself pointless unless you want to do it for fun.
495.00 for a rebuilt exchange unit.
Rebuild kit http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co...&productId=104 190.00
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Good point bill, thats the way ill go after u put it that way. Hopefully it wont cost an arm & a leg for shipping from ashcroft & not take forever! Its summer & i wanna drive it!
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I spoke to Ashcroft not too long ago when looking for rebuilt..... there's quite a few recommended here including Southwest Trannys..... I could not find any rebuilt much under 2K.....
I just finished swapping my gearbox, ended up buying one locally from someone on forum who had a used one with 60K for $500.... so for the obvious reason I went that route.... seems to be working fine....
It was a bitch to swap but looking back now, I'd do it again in half the time. I would def drop as a unit, gearbox & transfer. I replaced individually as I saw it would be too much of a pain to balance and place, specially with engine on tilt.... Was bad enough individually....
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:14 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
Some places on ebay show disco I manuals & list the d90 as a fitment,is that true? Also, i searched the threads but did not find a "how to" do an auto conversion. If i do, im not worried about the console, gonna use the manual shif lever like someone else did
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Well, I'm going to show my ignorance here cuz (Geezer alert) back in my leaf sprung days, the way to take out the transmission was not from below, but above. The floor tins removed, the tunnel cover came out, and the seat box was unbolted and removed. The transmission could then be worked on without raising the vehicle. A crane was wheeled into place thru the door opening and the lump pulled out.
Are Defenders this way or is it necessary to get the trans out from below?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

I heard Disco's need to be modified from multiple sources and was pretty much told not worth it.....

Def needs to be removed from below.... took floor panels, tunnel cover off, helped loosening and seeing what we were doing.... I borrowed a transmission jack which I can't imagine doing without.... its awkward weight plus the engine shift makes it a bit difficult....

If you're gonna do it, feel free to ring me, I can give you fresh pointers. I'm NO mechanic, but with help of fellow board member it was doable... just took time
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
Some places on ebay show disco I manuals & list the d90 as a fitment,is that true? Also, i searched the threads but did not find a "how to" do an auto conversion. If i do, im not worried about the console, gonna use the manual shif lever like someone else did
Rick I didn't do the conversion on mine which is now an auto, but I have replaced both the engine and transmission since I bought it so I know a little about it, and I can take pictures of things you may be curious about.

First, I can tell you the engine will mate up to a ZF HP22 just fine, and these are plentiful from disco 1s. You'll want the flywheel and flex plate from the auto, and either remove or add a bushing in the rear of the crank, I forget which. The only fabbing I am aware of is for the shifter and mine has a basic speed shifter coming up through the stock boot. There is some custom linkage from it to the transmission, but the transfer case stuff is all stock defender stuff afaik. I have no idea if there is anything special about the kickdown cable, but I guess you'll need that from the disco too.

Anyway, not suggesting you do this, but happy to help if you do want to go this route. I like my auto, but if it were me I'd keep it manual.
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Well, I'm going to show my ignorance here cuz (Geezer alert) back in my leaf sprung days, the way to take out the transmission was not from below, but above. The floor tins removed, the tunnel cover came out, and the seat box was unbolted and removed. The transmission could then be worked on without raising the vehicle. A crane was wheeled into place thru the door opening and the lump pulled out.
Are Defenders this way or is it necessary to get the trans out from below?
I didn't have a crane when I was working on my IIA, but I was able to persuade my wife to lift one end of the 2x6 I had chained to the box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch