Help - km to miles odometer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Davis_SouthAfrica
Matthew D.
1988 110

Registry
Help - km to miles odometer

Hello!

I was told by the State Patrol during my VIN check that I need to change my odometer from km to miles (not cool) before they can issue me a VIN.

Is this common?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

These will be for a 1985 110 and a 1986 110 - both RHD.

They are not electrical.

Thank you!

Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:02 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Post in the WTB section and hopefully one of the many hoarders here will cough a couple up. If not I think Trevor (Rovah Farm) has them for $200ish each new.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:26 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
What javelinadave said, check with Trevor at Rovahfarm.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Davis_SouthAfrica
Matthew D.
1988 110

Registry
Thank you both! I did so just now.

Sweet.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_SouthAfrica View Post
Hello!

I was told by the State Patrol during my VIN check that I need to change my odometer from km to miles (not cool) before they can issue me a VIN.

Is this common?
Does anyone know where I can get one?

These will be for a 1985 110 and a 1986 110 - both RHD.

They are not electrical.

Thank you!

Matthew
Before they can issue you a "VIN", or a title? I'm really quite surprised by this KM to Miles conversion - are they going to make you swap it to LHD too? Sheesh!

PS - it may be worth asking a second party at the State Police before jumping through the hoops and getting a new odometer.

Several folks on here - myself included - have run speedo's in km without issue. I'm fairly certain that local/state law should not supersede NHTSA, but in reality that coupled with the fact that the vehicle is 25+ years old. I'm sure there are some "true" collector cars out there that would not dare touch the originality of a vehicle such as swapping out a speedo just to satisfy the Super Troopers ("just going over the border for some french fries & gravy, sir").
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

try EBay UK. I have found them for a good price there. Does your spedo have both KLM ans MPH on the dial?
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
try EBay UK. I have found them for a good price there. Does your spedo have both KLM ans MPH on the dial?
In my experience the older km speedo's don't have the miles on them for Rovers...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://safarihp.com/prc7373.html

I have several used ones.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bet cop cars also have a km markings on the speedo
I'd check with the dmv

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:19 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

The "normal" UK spec speedo's have a smaller KM scale on them as well.

Pure KM ones don't have MPH
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
When people used to import motorbikes into the UK from Europe they'd just put stickers on the glass of the speedo to show key mph speeds.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:35 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
The km speedo that was in my ex-mod showed mph also, but it was pretty new it only had 1000km or so on the odo.

Of course if they are complaining about the odometer the only option is to get a mph speedo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4006181952.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	98675
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Mine came with a KPH only speedo. Both Texas and Arizona titled/registered it with no issues what so ever.
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:50 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I only swapped mine because I couldn't read the mph at night. Turns out it had a bulb out, and it wasn't just my eyes getting too old to read the little stuff.

Arkansas and Texas didn't care about the km odometer. And since I've got it registered with antique plates that don't expire, they'll probably never see it again.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Davis_SouthAfrica
Matthew D.
1988 110

Registry
Thanks everyone!

Looks like Colorado is a bit different. They are saying I need to switch out to Miles (from KM) and South Africa Speedo's don't have miles anywhere on them.

Also - colorado just passed a law last year saying classic cars are now 32 years old, not 25. Which means I'll have to go through emissions now to register. I'll be selling my trucks nation wide so after I get my VIN and Title I can export out of the state for someone else to register. That's one option. South African drivers seem to take care of their Defenders mechanically so I think they will pass emissions anyhow (second option).

Thanks again for the help. Now I just need to figure out how to switch them out! I can't find any resources online (which is odd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Before they can issue you a "VIN", or a title? I'm really quite surprised by this KM to Miles conversion - are they going to make you swap it to LHD too? Sheesh!

PS - it may be worth asking a second party at the State Police before jumping through the hoops and getting a new odometer.

Several folks on here - myself included - have run speedo's in km without issue. I'm fairly certain that local/state law should not supersede NHTSA, but in reality that coupled with the fact that the vehicle is 25+ years old. I'm sure there are some "true" collector cars out there that would not dare touch the originality of a vehicle such as swapping out a speedo just to satisfy the Super Troopers ("just going over the border for some french fries & gravy, sir").
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are you asking how to change the speedo? Remove the four screws for the binnacle and pull out. Squeeze the cable connector at the speedo to release. Remove clamps for speedo and pull out. It should all be pretty straightforward.

If it were me....I would spend a bit of money and install a VDO speedo You should be out less than $150 for the speedo and a new speed transducer. A little wiring and you have a speedo that will be 100% accurate, be much easier to see and look a lot better.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:42 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Geez, absent that, what kind of mental math problems can you entertain yourself with while driving across Nebraska?
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Davis_SouthAfrica
Matthew D.
1988 110

Registry
I'll let the next owner worry about that. I'm just switching out the speedo to get a vin and title. I may even put the old km back in b/c it's way cooler and you won't be going faster than the guy next to you.
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:59 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Don't bother swapping out the speedometer. You do not need to do that in order to get a VIN verification (you already have a VIN, what you need to register in CO is a verification of VIN).

I don't know why CSP trooper gave you bad information, but just get your VIN verification at the same location where you get your emissions test. They'll be happy to do that for you (for an extra charge of course) and you'll have that covered.

Or if you don't want to get an emissions test, you can still get the VIN verification done at any emissions test facility.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions