Help installing rear window glass - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Help installing rear window glass

I tried for almost an hour and could not figure out how to get a rear window installed in a D90 side. I have the correct window glass and seal but just can't get the darn thing installed. I have done a rear door window fine, but that was a larger glass done on a flat workbench.

Anyone have any tips??
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You mean the small rear corner window? Install the seal, then slide the window up from the bottom using lots of soap - its tapered towards the top so its slides in well. Then push the seal at the bottom out towards the glass or use a blunt object to push the seal out around the window glass at the bottom. Do the locking strip and you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I tried that technique and failed misserably. It sholdn't be this difficult from what I have experianced with doing the rear door window. Maybe my soap wasn't soapy enough as nothing seemed to slide well at all but it sure made a wet mess. The smaller glass and large seal seem to make things more cumbersome. I'll keep trying till either I get pissed off and give up or break something....
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:40 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Gary,

What part of NorCal are you from? Sometimes 4 hands and two brains can triumph over cumbersome tasks. I have done this task by myself when I put my SW hard top together - I could have used some help. I live in san jose and if it isn't too far I'd be glad to help you out. I installed the alpine, liftgate, small rear and big side windows and I don't remember it being a picnic.

Len

Old December 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Thanks for the offer Len, I am in San Carlos. I found my error and all went well today. For some reason I had the seal reversed, once I put the seal in correctly the glass went in no problem. I was just having a bad time of it yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1224071102.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	11463  
Old December 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Great - I am glad you got through it! From your picture you look like where I was 4 years ago! Only one major difference - yours is Portifino Red and mine is Monza Red!

Old December 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Seal reversed? Typically the lock strip goes on the inside.

Or do you mean you didnt realize that the seal has a thin side for the aluminum and a thick side for the glass?

Old December 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Well actually it wasn't really a matter of the seal being reversed so to speak, it was that I was trying to put the glass in from the side without the lock strip. Why? I don't know, just brain fade I guess as I have done this kind of seal before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Seal reversed? Typically the lock strip goes on the inside.

Or do you mean you didnt realize that the seal has a thin side for the aluminum and a thick side for the glass?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
glass, window