Help installing choke/hand throttle cable - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Help installing choke/hand throttle cable

I have a defender choke cable that I am installing as a hand throttle in my SeriesIII. I can route it through the bulkhead right along the existing choke cable and mount it in the dash near my oil pressure guage. My question is how do you mount it? It would seem you have to remove the cable and knob from the housing, drill a hole just a smidge larger than the threaded section, then install the cable housing/locking section from the rear, and lock it to the dash by with the nut and washer. But does the cable come out somehow? Or am I missing something here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	choke.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	8159  
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Looks like to me the knob would come off and that you need a larger washer to the left of the star washer to act as a backing plate. Where these go on a 90, IIRC, is through the thin plastic cowell on the right side of the steering column. Either the knob comes off, or the cable slides off the sheathing.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The knob is molded over the end of the cable. I took my column apart and the choke cable is slotted into a metal arm that also holds the ignition tumbler.
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Hmmm. Someone has had to have installed one of these. Did you get it from John?
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

AB this afternoon.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

So what's on the other end of the cable? Could you slide it out of the sheath?
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Not unless there is some secret way to do it? The locking mechanism only lets the cable side about 2 inches.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

On a '95 Defender the attatchment point in the steering column cowl has a slotted bracket, not a full circle. It is forked I guess you could say. I installed one on mine.

I need to take the time to learn how to post pictures, sorry.

The same way your choke cable is if I understand you correctly.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

It does seem to need a fork to slide into. I rigged one using an old 2.5 ton army truck hand throttle I had. Works but could use a vernier adjustment, my brother just did one a snowmobile groomer that he is going to send me a link too.

Follow-up Post:

This is the one I am going to try. vernier adjustment and you just hit the red button to release.

http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?...ion&linkid=210
Old February 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
It does seem to need a fork to slide into. I rigged one using an old 2.5 ton army truck hand throttle I had.
I'm amassing parts for this project now. I have one of these from Aircraft Spruce. It's not a vernier per say, but it has a positive pushbutton lock, unlike the friction type choke knob. The housing is the proper size to fit in the mounting bracket in the steering column with no modifications.

I have already fabbed a clevis, starting out with RC aircraft steel control rod, which is already threaded at one end.

Kevin, did you have to drill a hole through the firewall, or was there an existing one that you used?
Attached Images

Old February 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Cpt. mine fit through beside the speedometer cable. Just in case you're interested, the knob on the LR cable twists to lock at the desired setting. It comes with a clip to attatch it to the throttle. It probably cost more than the one you have though.
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:21 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Mine is a series III bulkhead. it has all sorts of holes. I ended up mounting it on the front of my console between the seats, easy to find and use without looking. I used the large existing hole for the factory seriesIII hand throttle.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Follow up, the hand throttle unit from AWDirect worked out perfectly. You can dial the RPMs up and down on the go very precisely and hit the red button to disengage it completely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions