HELP! Indicators, Dash, Electrical Problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST
HELP! Indicators, Dash, Electrical Problems

I have a couple problems. During the day, my only my right rear brake works. I believe the other one is burned out. I know I probably need to change the bulb/harness... good to go. I'm not sure if this could be, in a strange way, related to the below issue.

The other issue, when I use my left indicator with my headlights off, the entire dash illumination blinks on and off. When I turn the lights on, the left rear indicator stays on and of course does not blink when used. However, there is also no effect on the dash illumination.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I suppose I should fix the brake light first to eliminate that as a contributing factor.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
You can have really wierd problems relating to the tail lights and the dash lights, check out my problem from late last year:

Its not exactly the same problem, and may well not be the solution, but it is illustrative of the connection between the two systems.

In the end, I discoved that my brake light circuit fuse was blown. I replaced it, but as soon as I hit the brakes, the fuse blew again. I would start by replacing all the lights with new fresh ones. Then if that doesnt fix it, start looking at the corroded tail light connectors and harnesses. Good luck.

Old April 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Originally Posted by [color=black
junkyddog11[/color]]The culprit has been up inside the frame rail where the trailer plug is connected and will resemble a small snake that has eaten a large rodent (that is wearing a green sweater)
I love the description!

Old April 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM
shane cates
94 d90
mine is also a little screwed up like that. I have traced it down to bad trailer wiring attempt. I have also had lights working when they want only to find the connections to the back of the lights needed to be cleaned up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

dash, electrical, problems