Help Identifying Engine Shut Off - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I changed the VSS on mine but it didn't have any immediate effect. My problem "went away" and I *think* in my case it was simply that I needed to give it some decent runs. I had replaced the engine and only been on short little drives, probably never getting fully warmed up and the ECU needed some full runs to re-train.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Scott,

The only other things that I did other than what you have so far was to add a better ground to the fuel pump, change some connections from the plug type to a ring type (sorry I don't know the name of them), and clean the MAF. I would also suggest tracing all of the wires in the engine bay and shake each of them to see if there is a bad connection.

I hope that helps.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wow, the thread that keeps on giving, has come back! I feel as though I'm watching a child of mine grow up as it wanders through its life. I do have a few new tidbits I've learned over the summer that were frustrating the hell out of me. Unfortunately, I've also come to the conclusion that there are many causes to this problem and I am considering writing up a diagnostic routine to cover it. Random stalling is a beast of a problem.

cgalpin: You are correct, the computer DOES need some runtime on it if power was disconnected. It does have some type of learning algorithm in the software which manages the stepper motor and idle speed control at the very least. I've seen it take a week or more of regular driving until it re-learns everything, and cut the power to the ECU for just a second and it all gets dumped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
My D110 was doing the same thing when I was driving it home for the first time.
I know that this has been mentioned before, but here is what I did:

1. New Magnecore 7mm spark plug wires
2. New genuine LR spark plugs (do not get creative on these old 3.9s)
3. New genuine LR cap and rotor
4. 2 bottles of Techron in the gas tank
5. New Y-pipe cat system

I am by no means a mechanic, but my D110 has not bucked since.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old November 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

lol spark plugs, the thing I can no-longer touch. I can tell that a couple of mine are nearing the stripped-thread zone, and next time they come out I need to heli-coil the heads. Blah.

-Hans

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM
grendel
Scott Goforth

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try and trace it thru the wiring harness this weekend. I have already changed the spade ends on the harness going into the coil to ring ends as I know those have a tendency to work thier way loose. I changed the plugs, but not the wires, so I will change those out today. I will also check the speed sensor.

Scott
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just out of a curiosity, since i've never done through those areas yet.

Anybody ever seen any issues with the pickup screens in the fuel tank, or bad connections on the starter side of the battery cable? One of these days I need to figure out how mass-air sensors work, to figure out a better swap situation.

-Hans

Old February 13th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I forget where I read about the MAF sensor and basically it just has two terminals and measures the resistance between them to determine the mass of air coming into the engine, which allows it to adjust for both amount of air and density depending on elevation.
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I only scanned this thread quickly, but a faulty connection at the ignition switch would cause those symptoms. Depressing the clutch pedal causing it is particularly curious, as disengaging the clutch should have no effect on the engine running. Unless the pedal arm is rubbing on a wire from the ignition and opening the circuit.
I suspect turning it off and starting again and it being okay for a while is purely coincidental.

What's the OP's status?

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The only sense I could make out of the clutch issue was that maybe when coasting, the engine was just not getting to low enough RPM's to stall because the wheels were still driving it (while in gear). However, without the wheels keeping it turning, it just wanted to die. I may be totally wrong, but that was my first thought of why the clutch would affect it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine