Help, heater blower not working - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Help, heater blower not working

Since I received my truck the heater blower has not worked. I have checked all the wiring and fuses and all seems to be in order. What should I try next, wire the motor directly(long wire from battery with in line fuse) to see if the motor is shot or is there someplace else I should be looking?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

First thing, wire it directly. You will be able to see if motor is good or the problem is in the wires.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

If you are sure it's not a wiring/switch/fuse issue and you might try checking the fan on the motor to see if it's siezed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
gas-man
Robert/Mazzarella
97/D90 ST: Sold

I had the same issue. I removed the passanger side fender vent, stuck my arm in there and twisted the fan a few times. Since then it has worked great.
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

I'm having the same problem, and didn't want to start a new thread...this one is kinda old...anyhow. My heater fan is not blowing either, it did until recently. I stuck my hand in the fan and found an old rag from the previous owner jamed in the fan blades...I removed it, and it still won't blow. I am not sure, is there a special fuse box for the blower? Where is the fuse for this....if it's not the fuse, should I assume the motor is dead??? Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2012, 09:40 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowi View Post
I'm having the same problem, and didn't want to start a new thread...this one is kinda old...anyhow. My heater fan is not blowing either, it did until recently. I stuck my hand in the fan and found an old rag from the previous owner jamed in the fan blades...I removed it, and it still won't blow. I am not sure, is there a special fuse box for the blower? Where is the fuse for this....if it's not the fuse, should I assume the motor is dead??? Thanks.

Could be a bunch of stuff. For mine, the dash switch had worn out... It's an easy replacement, so try bypassing it with a jumper wire on HIGH and see if that works - if so, then it's just the switch.

Second, try wiring it directly and see if it spins... have a test light and see if it's getting any juice (a volt meter will work as well) Set the volt meter to 20VDC and turn on the fan.. touch the positive an dneg leads and see if it's getting any juice... if so, then you've got a motor problem - either seized or dead. In either case, DO NOT try to leave the motor switch on the dash ON hoping it will work somehow if you see voltage at the motor... that is how you start an electrical fire.

Extract the blower and see if you can recover it - it's a bit of a pain to do. I had to remove the bonnet, then the windshield wiper reservoir to get at the mountings for the blower assembly.

If you do go this route, I HIGHLY recommend enlarging the hole in the dash that the blower duct goes through. It will make a HUGE difference in how much air gets into the cabin.

Hope this helps...

Don
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:01 PM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Thanks Don for the troubleshooting procedure...I really appreciate it....I'll be working on this weekend.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:13 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhowi View Post
Thanks Don for the troubleshooting procedure...I really appreciate it....I'll be working on this weekend.
No problem... I replaced the motor later on as I thought it wasn't blowing hard enough... Kind of an oversight on LR's part for this whole system.

The Blower runs directly into the fuse box with no relays so it's a REALLY under powered unit. After I replaced the motor, the new one blew exactly as hard as the old one, so I smack my head, do some research and found out about the firewall mod. It did make a difference, but I think the next time I need to make a change to this system, I'll replace the whole thing with a modern Vintage Air Gen II mini system with full digital hvac controls, defrosters, and AC.

http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg45wc.pdf

I picked up a condenser motor from a D1 at the wreckers for 5$, and also scooped the drier unit as well for 2$. Just waiting until the day it peeses me off so much I will just order the Vintage Air unit and have done with the crappy Land Rover blower forever. The local AC guy tells me he'll make up the lines, and charge it up for me for real cheap... I may even be able to get rid of the cooker under the passenger seat and use it for storage for a change.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:37 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-man View Post
I had the same issue. I removed the passanger side fender vent, stuck my arm in there and twisted the fan a few times. Since then it has worked great.
Should the fan spin easily if turned by hand? My heater doesn't work either and when turning the fan by hand there's some good resistance. I haven't tested the system beyond that at this point.
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:07 AM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Should the fan spin easily if turned by hand? My heater doesn't work either and when turning the fan by hand there's some good resistance. I haven't tested the system beyond that at this point.
Yes. It should turn easily.
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:47 AM
hankhowi
s
1997 Defender

Everyone, thanks for the tips....this is where I ended up with it this weekend. I was able to jump the fan motor, it runs fine, no issues. I ran a jumper ground from the switch on the dash, so it was defintely grounded to the frame, and still no juice flowed to the motor. I checked the fuses that are located infront of the differential shifter, and they all checked out....I checked the power running to the motor, and there isn't any juice flowing...any suggestions as to where to look from here?? No power......not sure where to begin with that one.......Thanks!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater