Help from other married men? Please? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Here's my advice from a married man, quit asking permission. If you frame a conversation about anything like that you will always loose.
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
My 2 cents. I used to plow snow for the County Highway Dept many years ago. Plowing is really hard on a vehicle and I wouldn't do that to my Defender. If it is at all deep it really wears on the suspension and drive train. I say beater truck or get a snow blower that can go on a good sized lawn tractor PTO.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:13 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Agree - an old beater truck that's sitting all year will not want to start when there is a foot of new snow on the ground and the temp's are in the ten's.

I also doubly agree with the wife not being too keen on another truck in the driveway unless she is ultra ultra cool. And if you are into the tri stuff - why give yourself another headache - save the wrenching time for the D90 and have some time to train.

How long is your driveway? The modern snowthrowers can move some snow. I have a little one that I bought for $500 at the local mower place and it's done well. My area to clean isn't small either - between the patio deck, front walk, parking area, and then the driveway - it takes me a good part of the day but you could code that to cross training :D

Additionally, the times I did pay someone to plow (snowthrower was broken) - they snotted up my grass and the brown stone of my walkway. And that's not to mention the ice that was made from plowing during the wet snow storms. Last I was at the local power equipment store - they were selling burly ones for $1,500. I'd go that route instead of a junker plow truck.
I'm not even intellegent enough to figure out snow-removal and I plan to own a home? Great point on wrench-time.

You guys are always a fun crew to bounce ideas and brainstorm with. I appreciate the different points of view.

No clue how long the driveway is yet...but you can't see the house from the road. That $100 per plowing isn't sounding all that bad now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2010, 02:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
A tractor or one of those mules with a little plow attached may be good, plus you can tool around the property in one.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:18 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

I never ask permission... but I'm a sales guy by trade...so I am always "selling" and justifying stuff. It's just my nature.

------ Follow up post added May 26th, 2010 02:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
A tractor or one of those mules with a little plow attached may be good, plus you can tool around the property in one.
Now you're talking! Craigslist here I come....
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy the snowbear plow like I said.

Ron
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

Buy her a shovel for Valentines Day?
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:43 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
I'm not even intellegent enough to figure out snow-removal and I plan to own a home? Great point on wrench-time.

You guys are always a fun crew to bounce ideas and brainstorm with. I appreciate the different points of view.

No clue how long the driveway is yet...but you can't see the house from the road. That $100 per plowing isn't sounding all that bad now!
$100 for a plow doesn't sound bad - that's what I paid last year per plow.

If the property is that big I think looking into a yard vehicle like a Gator or Mule with attachments would be smart. But it all depends on how much work you want to do. I have almost 2 acres and try to do as much as I can outside. But it does eat up time. Figure out how much an hour of your time is worth, how much you enjoy doing that work (when I have the time, I actually enjoy mowing my own lawn), how much the associated equipment is and then compare that to what an outside company will charge. Overall I think the 2 will be pretty close in costs.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
Buy her a shovel for Valentines Day?
I think he's trying to actually stay married

You could try and talk up how having an efficient snow romoval system is going to save you time and allow you to spend more time with the family.
Old May 26th, 2010, 04:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Wow, $700.....I'm interested. Thanks for the search!
That is why we named him the Research Asst.

Old May 26th, 2010, 05:13 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Trust Horsey when it comes to tractors and mules.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Get her to love the truck for the same reasons you do. Take her trail riding in it. My wife absolutely LOVES it. That alone will show her first hand the work and improvements that NEED to be done to the truck. Ask her opinion about it. My wife loves those old trucks. It started with my '84 CJ (orig. owner so wasn't old when I bought it before we got married), then the Rover, a '51 Willys M-38, and now we bought a '74 Bronco. I can maybe see a 110 in our future too. Fun stuff.

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachyracer View Post
Get her to love the truck for the same reasons you do. Take her trail riding in it. My wife absolutely LOVES it. That alone will show her first hand the work and improvements that NEED to be done to the truck. Ask her opinion about it. My wife loves those old trucks. It started with my '84 CJ (orig. owner so wasn't old when I bought it before we got married), then the Rover, a '51 Willys M-38, and now we bought a '74 Bronco. I can maybe see a 110 in our future too. Fun stuff.
Is that you in the photo? Man you boys get married young in WI. Haha.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Quote:
Is that you in the photo? Man you boys get married young in WI. Haha.
No that's my then eight-year-old son at the wheel of a buddy's '73 Series.

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Pete is right, get her to love the truck like you do. I had my wife in tears when we dropped off the 90 for consignment. Everyone has to have their hobbies and their own lives, married or not.

I wouldn't use the 90 to plow snow and it sounds like you'll have a hell of a distance to plow it. Not your normal driveway. If fact it sounds like you're on a few acres so maybe you would be better off getting a used farm tractor with a plow on it and a lawn mower set too. Kill two birds with one stone. Keep the 90 as a toy and occasional summer driver. It'll last longer that way too.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
You need a lawn mower with a snow plow blade or even a snow blower that fits on the front of the lawn mower. The problem with trying to plow your driveway with a truck is that there is never enough room to move around. I live on 2 acres and have a drive way with 90 feet of gravel and 40 feet of concrete. I found having a little lawn mower with a snow plow is FUN.

I also have used the lawn mower with a small dump trailer for many many landscaping projects around the house and when I had the entire property hydroseeded last year I was able to save about $800 bucks by using the lawn tractor to pull the drag harrow and aerator around the yard before the hydroseeder showed up.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Stephen.

Buy it.

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1816674692.html

1964 Land Rover Series IIa - $7500 (Seacoast NH)

Date: 2010-06-29, 2:05AM EDT
Reply to: sale-jfpbw-1816674692@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This one is the "classic" land rover and has under 51,000 miles on it. It was owned by one family until this year. It was stored in a barn by the original owner and then was passed down to his son in 1996 and garaged. It was originally purchased with a soft top only, and that was replaced about three years ago. All the brake lines have been replaced with coated lines. It has recently been driven about 30 miles and everything works great. It has a fisher speedcast plow and tire chains. It comes with the original manual, original repair manual, and spare tire. One of the rear/side seat bottoms is missing but the seat back is there, the opposite rear/side seat is in great condition. The front seats are in great condition too. The bulkhead has some rust but not to bad. It needs a muffler, tailpipe,and the clutch is a little stiff (might only need lube?). The front lights are all in great condition and the rear lights are good/great condition. The body is in good condition but the left rear has some light damage (backed into something?) All the glass is in great condition. Some of the door weather stripping is missing or in need of replacement. Leaf-sprung suspension with selectable two or four-wheel drive. Email for more pictures and/or call 603-944-6402 with any questions. I will consider trades and trades with cash.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I skipped shoveling snow blowers and plows. I bought her a four wheel drive and explained "God giveth, God taketh away"

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:05 AM
DCWhybrew
Chris Whybrew
91 RR, 05 LR3

Why not take her out wheeling in it, or camping? Get her interested in one or the other (or both), so she sees the value in having the Defender. Hell, (if it is a soft top) take the top off and go for drives in the mountains. Bascially, it needs to become her toy too!

Buy her another land rover for a daily driver. That way she will appreciate the Defender. Thats what I did. My wife didnt understand my affinity to our first D1. Then I bought her a RR 4.6 HSE and then a DII. She now likes them almost as much as me. LOL, I bought her a MB E320 4 matic wagon and after 6 months she made me put her back in a LR. That is how we got the LR3.

**EDIT** Sorry, didnt see Peter's post before I typed mine...basically repeated him. I agree with Peter! LOL
02 DII SD7 (sold)
00 DII SE (sold)
97 RR HSE Panther Ed. (sold)
96 DI SD (sold)
91 RR (sold)
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
Why not take her out wheeling in it, or camping? Get her interested in one or the other (or both), so she sees the value in having the Defender. Hell, (if it is a soft top) take the top off and go for drives in the mountains. Bascially, it needs to become her toy too!

Buy her another land rover for a daily driver. That way she will appreciate the Defender. Thats what I did. My wife didnt understand my affinity to our first D1. Then I bought her a RR 4.6 HSE and then a DII. She now likes them almost as much as me. LOL, I bought her a MB E320 4 matic wagon and after 6 months she made me put her back in a LR. That is how we got the LR3.

**EDIT** Sorry, didnt see Peter's post before I typed mine...basically repeated him. I agree with Peter! LOL
Yep, more evidence that that's the way to go! Let the truck seduce her like it did you!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions