help finding serial number on transfer box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:49 AM
Zachary Hoyt
88 D90 CSW
help finding serial number on transfer box

I am attempting to find the serial number on my transfer box, to ensure that it is original (for import purposes). I have read that the serial number is on the rear face below the circular PTO take-off cover to the left of the park brake drum, however, this is ALL I can find on the rear face. Any help is appreciated!

------ Follow up post added March 23rd, 2016 08:50 AM ------

oops, the hyperlink for the image didn't come through, let me try that again Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:09 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
From Ashcrofts site:

From 50 seconds onwards are the "later" t/boxes, which most probably are, I've never seen an early one yet

Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:46 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
The serial number will be stamped in one of 2 possible places, either on the bottom left of the main casing or on the earlier vehicles right at the bottom of the left hand side face of the main casing obscured by the exhaust pipe in which case you will need a knife (to scrape the muck off) and a mirror. You are looking for Eg. "28D123456E", we are interested in the first two and the last, i.e. we call this a "28E". Please have a look in the LT230 Technical Section to find a list of Serial numbers / Ratios.

Product Options

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions