Help 'Faking' Spot Welds - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Help 'Faking' Spot Welds

Hello:

I'm in the process of replacing the driver side rear body panel on my 'project' D90 and am wondering how to duplicate the factory spot weld marks. I've searched the threads and seen several ideas from using 'flush head' rivets to drilling holes and using filler to create the effect. I've even had a local body guy say he fakes spot welds by using the eraser on a pencil to make a mark in the primer when damp and then painting over it. Seemed like a good idea except for the need to have the correct lines of evenly-spaced 'welds' on the panel.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I could have my body guy rivet the panel on (along with adhesive) but do not know where to source the correct flush head rivets and how then to finish them correctly.

If anyone has any photo references or can suggest another possible route that would be great.

Cheers,

CARL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If you use a high strength two part metal body glue to fasten the pieces. Clean metal to bare where you glue. Let the glue ooze through the old spot weld holes. When it dries to a certain hardness cut the oozed bit flush with a sharp razor blade. As the glue continues to dry it will shrink back a bit more and look exactly like a spot weld hole. These type repairs can be stronger then stock if done correctly.

Find a way to practice on some scrap material.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
And to get the location of the original holes, just make a template on a piece of thin paper to transfer to the new panel
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Had thought of doing that and it would work well if I am going to drill or rivet. A bit less easy to transfer-over to the new part if I do the trick I mentioned with the pencil eraser in the primer.

Still wondering if flush rivets could net me a similar result (if I knew where to find them.)

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers,

CARL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions