Help! Driveline Knock of Death - Revisited - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Help! Driveline Knock of Death - Revisited

So I have had this nasty, or what I consider abnormal (maybe it's normal for a D-90?) knock in my driveline. It happens generally in 1st and 2nd gear and when I accelerate or decelerate I get a knocking noise coming from underneath.

Today I removed the PTO cover and inspected the output shaft and all the visible gears. I was impressed as everything looks and feels nice and tight and there are no broken teeth. Next I removed the rear driveshaft and went for a spin. The noise was significantly louder and was definitely coming from the tranny/t-case area. Next, I removed the front driveshaft and went for a spin. The noise was still there and was just as loud and came from the tranny/t-case area. With the t-case locked, the front yoke has about 5/8" rotational play, and front axle yoke has about 3/4" rotational play.

Anyone have any ideas??? Should I just leave everything alone and stop worrying? I am not a guy to wait until something breaks, so this is getting frustrating!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
They all have a little rotational play. My front output/yoke seems to have a little play in the bearing, I had it tightened it was fine but now has a little play again. The mechanic doesnt seemed worried. An englishman with a good resume. He said its okay so I keep on driving it. These trucks are noisey by nature, fulltime gear driven t-case no sound killing material etc. I have sort of stopped worrying about it, when it breaks youll know what to fix. The only other vehicle I have driven that is close to being as noisey as the Rover is an FJ40. Maybe consider it the knock of life...
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

With the engine running, try shifting the the t-case to neutral, shift the trans into fifth gear, let the clutch up and get underneath it. That should engage the running gear and cause the noise to occur and since you're underneath you can better diagnose where it's coming from.

Check the mounts underneath too. Is it a continuous knock or do you get one knock when you get on or off the gas?
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
are you sure the u joints and driveshaft sliding joints are ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue

Anyone have any ideas??? Should I just leave everything alone and stop worrying? I am not a guy to wait until something breaks, so this is getting frustrating!
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ujoints and sliding joints (I assume you are referring to the driveshafts) are tight. I also put the t-case in neutral and put the tranny in 5th. Since that is not turning the t-case that does not produce any noise. I think it's in the t-case somewhere anyway. In my years of mechanical experience, this noise is not normal. Even with working with similarly noise Jeeps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
I just got a D90 and have the same knock. I have to really ride the clutch to keep it from knocking and even then I am often unsuccessful. There is also a similar knock when I go over small bumps of the right magnitude. Feels like a worn out bushing or similar. Small bumps are not big enough to make the knock and big bumps seem to engage the suspension and not make the knock either.
This is driving me nuts as well. Unfortunatley I just moved and lost my garage space in the process. Living in an apartment building and can't really troubleshoot. I am interested to see where this thread goes. Keep us posted.

ROVER4X4 - I have had 2 FJ40's and a 45 and never had anything this bad. I know what you mean regarding the slop in those but this is a lot worse.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Ujoints and sliding joints (I assume you are referring to the driveshafts) are tight. I also put the t-case in neutral and put the tranny in 5th. Since that is not turning the t-case that does not produce any noise. I think it's in the t-case somewhere anyway. In my years of mechanical experience, this noise is not normal. Even with working with similarly noise Jeeps.

Just don't forget that you have to check the rear U-Joints with the parking brake released and the transfer case in neutral. Otherwise there is tension on the rear driveshaft, which will hide any slop in the U-Joints. I found this out the hard way when I had a joint start failing on me, and I had regularly been checking it the wrong way.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I would check the front radius arm bushings on the axle end. If they are worn then it will knock when you accelerate.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:27 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Did you inspect the engine and transmission mounts?
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I never found my driveline knock. If caress the clutch like a fine woman, I eliminate the knock. I chock my knock up to 100K miles and full-time 4 wheel drive.

Semper Fi!
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
lightwriter
Carlos Ascencio
'84 One Ten

Registry
Driveline knock of Death update - Resolved

Well, I was finally able to fix the issue with my particular knock. I replaced the rear ball joint, the one over the differential, and it has all gone away. The knocking when shifting gears, accelerating and then decelerating (and vice versa) is also gone, so is the knock when going over bumps and potholes. I had my local shop do the work. $75 for balljoint and $222 for labor. I still have the play on the driveline, which feels normal to me, but the knock I would hear when taking up the slack has gone away entirely.
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Good to know, thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions