Help Diagnosing a winch problem... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Help Diagnosing a winch problem...

So among the carnage that occured over the weekend was the apparent death of my winch... the motor seems to still work as it will run in reverse (letting line out) but just gives an audible "click" and then nothing when I try to get it to pull line...

This is (was?) a Superwinch x9 - does anyone have a clue what I might check before I designate this as a really heavy paperweight? I hate to have to just replace it (especially given everything else I broke and will need to be replacing)
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I am sure it's repairable. Certainly far less than to replace it even if you used a dealer.

Maybe a solenoid is bad? OR do you hear the motor trying to work but can't move?

I'm not sure what that has for solenoids, but if it has two, you could try swapping them as a test. If it no longer sppols out but will spool in then you just need a solenoid.
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Hot wire it with jumper cables and see if it engages pulling in. If so, bad solinoid. If not, you have to consider the motor or gears as having a possible issue.
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Brad.

I have a X9 Superwinch with the same issue but in the opposite direction. It's one of the Solenoids that needs to be replaced. A $25 part. Mine will pull in just fine but won't let out, I have to pull it by hand. Download the manual here: http://www.superwinch.com/UserFiles/File/90_17371.pdf The solenoids are on page 19. The part number for the solenoid is SPW-2237 and you can order it here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-2237 I have mine, just haven't installed it yet.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:17 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Brad.

I have a X9 Superwinch with the same issue but in the opposite direction. It's one of the Solenoids that needs to be replaced. A $25 part. Mine will pull in just fine but won't let out, I have to pull it by hand. Download the manual here: http://www.superwinch.com/UserFiles/File/90_17371.pdf The solenoids are on page 19. The part number for the solenoid is SPW-2237 and you can order it here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-2237 I have mine, just haven't installed it yet.
excellent... thank you

I may try to switch them first to make sure that's the problem... of course it would have been nice if the OTHER one had blown and I could have still pulled...
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I carry spares with me.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you want to be able to trust it a bit more replace the solenoids with some of the solid state switches available like the Albright units or a newer Superwinch control box which I believe use solid state sealed units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I had a same problem with mine. The solenoid wasn't bad. The contacts were corroded and were not making good contact. A wire brush and dielectric grase got it going again.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Change to an Albright if you are spending money...

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ca...cat=300&page=1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch