HELP - D90 wont start....going camping on Thurs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

HELP - D90 wont start....going camping on Thurs

I've got a 95 D90 SW with 75k on the ODO. Its been sitting in my garage for about a month. Last time I drove it and all was good. Since parking it somthing has gone wrong..I have two theories.

1) Mositure - Lotsa rain in the Northeast recently and my garage was pretty dank.
2) Rodents - Have seen them in the garage before and now wondering if they got a bit hungry and decided to chomp on some wire. The rest of the electrical system is working fine (horn, lights, starter, dash lamps, interior lights, stereo) so im wondering how likely it is that they decided to chew on a fuel pump wire. The fuel pump did not make a sound....even tried cranking the engine with the fuel line disconneted from the injector rail...nada.

So I've done my research looking through past posts, gathering infomation on the possiable issues surrronding my D90's condition. That said I've diagonosed my problem as a fuel delivery issue.

So far this is what I've learned....

1) Air Passage is clear
2) Spark plugs are operating (pulled and checked)
3) No fuel is being delivered to the injector rail.

After discovering that no fuel was coming to the injector rail I traced the fuel line back to the fuel filter...loosened the line on the side where it exits (and found gas was present there). Incidentally my fuel guage shows 1/4 tank.

I've checked the fuse under the panel infront of the transfer case which looks fine.

Looking through the archives I've learned that there are two silver relays under the pass seat that I should check out. One for the fuel pump one for the ECU??? Also does anyone have a part number for those relays?

What else could be a cause....im guessing (hoping) its not the pump..Other posts have spoke of

1) Inertia Switch under the hood
2) Fuel Cut off switch.

Are there any other fuses or relays? I've got a trip on Thrus...no chance I can bring it in to a shop before then so I am hoping that i can get this resolved tonight. Im planning to go to a rover dealer at lunch to buy new relay's....anything else that i should pick up?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
fuel pump relay in the passenger side seat box. i got my relay from napa
Old July 24th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nedim, do you have a volt meter or a test light? Can you hear the Fuel pump when you turn the key to on? If not pull the line back off the fuel filter and have someone turn the key to on, CAREFUL! If the pump works fuel will come shooting out. If fuel comes out it may just be a bad fuel filter.

The inertia switch is behind the fuses on some and I think in the passenger seat box on others, it is a small black box with a button on top. If it is tripped it would stop fuel.

Did you check the fuel pump fuse? CHECK all the fuses! Everyone messes up the first time and mistakes the wrong fuse for the fuel pump fuse and ends up chasing their tails trying to figure out what is wrong.

If all else fails you need to know if power is getting to the fuel pump! There is a connector for the fuel pump in the rear passenger side wheel well. It has 4 wires, power to the pump is purple (I think, it is the thicker wire). between that wire and 2 of the other wires you should get 12 volts for the first couple seconds the ignition is turned on. the 4th wire is the power wire for the fuel gauge, it will have something like 6 volts on it. If the thick purple wire has 12 volt then you have some bad news, fuel pump problem or the wires are chewed on the top of the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2006, 01:59 PM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

Mike,

Thanks for your help...here's some more info

Nedim, do you have a volt meter or a test light?
YES I DO

Can you hear the Fuel pump when you turn the key to on?
No Noise

If not pull the line back off the fuel filter and have someone turn the key to on, CAREFUL! If the pump works fuel will come shooting out. If fuel comes out it may just be a bad fuel filter.
FUEL FILTER WAS JUST REPLACED 5K AGO....CHECKED THE CONNECTION WHERE FUEL EXITS TE FILTER AND IT CAME DRIBBLING OUT. THEN I DISCONNECTED THE FUEL LINE ON THE INJECTOR RAIL AND TURNED IT OVER FOR 5 SEC...NO FUEL CAME OUT.

The inertia switch is behind the fuses on some and I think in the passenger seat box on others, it is a small black box with a button on top. If it is tripped it would stop fuel.
WILL CHECK..

Did you check the fuel pump fuse? CHECK all the fuses! Everyone messes up the first time and mistakes the wrong fuse for the fuel pump fuse and ends up chasing their tails trying to figure out what is wrong.
YES I TRIPLED CHECKED ALL FUSES

If all else fails you need to know if power is getting to the fuel pump! There is a connector for the fuel pump in the rear passenger side wheel well. It has 4 wires, power to the pump is purple (I think, it is the thicker wire). between that wire and 2 of the other wires you should get 12 volts for the first couple seconds the ignition is turned on. the 4th wire is the power wire for the fuel gauge, it will have something like 6 volts on it. If the thick purple wire has 12 volt then you have some bad news, fuel pump problem or the wires are chewed on the top of the tank.
GREAT INFO THANKS MIKE.

JUST SO IM CLEAR DOES THE POWER FLOW IN THIS DIRECTION...

BATTERY > FUSE (in panel under dash) > RELAY (under passenger seat) > INERTIA SWITCH (under hood) > PUMP?

THANKS

PS I ALSO FOUND 2 RELAYS FROM A LOCAL ROVER SHOP>>>>PICKING THEM UP TOO
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Fuel pump relay was the cause for me after the truck sat for a while.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM
TurkD90
Nedim Aruz
1995 D90 SW

After calling a few places on Monday...inc the Manhattan, Larchmont and Mt. Kisco deealers I was able to source two Bosch relays' from a small private shop on the Upper East side. If anyone is in NYC and needs a Rover shop I reccomend Sports Cars and Classics on 73rd and York. The stealers were looking to charge $45 per relay....I got both for $36. Too boot they ordered the relays for me (none in stock) and were able to get them same day.

Last night I went home and swapped both relay's... Went to turn the key - BINGO heard the fuel pump priming and then went to hit the starter and after a few cranks it fired right up.

Thanks to everyone for their help and wisdom

Saved my trip and probably a fist full of cash.
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:49 AM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

You might check the coil and amplifier. The wires can come loose. My amplifier went bad about that mileage and I ended up replacing the coil/amlifier and the fuel pump relays about that time. It was the amplifier though. It is a little black box mounted beside the coil.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start