Help - D90 won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Help - D90 won't start

So just dropped my son off at his girlfriends. Its snowing here so had heater on, wipers and lights.
Everything is fine until I get home and as soon as I stop smoke comes billowing out of the instrument panel. Just for a few seconds but with enough volume to make me reach for the fire extinguisher.

This is a 3.5 V8 and when I purchased it found a small fuel leak so suspected it had returned. I opened the hood and there was no sign of the fuel leak.

The vehicle has had some annoying little electrical problems such as turn signals and brake lights blinking together, reverse light not working, wipers not working. I know the roof is leaking so I think water ingress is causing some issues with the break lights and turn signals.

I also noticed the battery connectors were very loose and I had just been to the auto parts store and bought new ones along with some glass fuses.

So I swapped out the battery terminals and changed a couple of the fuses (stupid I know without seeing if the car would start).

I have gone to start the car to see if everything was OK. No lights come on the instrument panel, however if I continue to turn the ignition key the battery light illuminates and the engine starts but will not continue running.

I did take the instrument panel part way out so I could take a peak behind and everything that I could see looked OK.

Any ideas what the likely issue is?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 02:22 PM
javelinadave
-
-

All the Lucas electrical smoke got out. You need to refill the wires with the Lucas smoke refill kit and it should all be good.

------ Follow up post added April 9th, 2016 11:24 AM ------

Seriously you have a pretty impressive short somewhere in the dash. I would pull the battery cables off the terminals and figure it out before you burn your truck to the ground.
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Instrument panel removed and I couldn't find any evidence of scorching or a short.

Anyone able to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
So I think its probably an ignition run circuit or column key switch failure. I expect the former as that is probably linked to the smoke.
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:16 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

You posted that it will start, but it won't stay running - what part of the ignition system keeps it running that isn't required to start it?
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
No friggin idea

But following Diagnostic flowchart for a car that won't start or stalls - Troubleshooting for the starter, spark failure and the fuel pump

If I keep the ignition key on start the engine runs, as soon as I release it then I get a stall
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm suspecting a defective ignition switch. But would want to pull the steering column and Check the grounds.
I sense your truck needs a serious looking at. Is this it's only problem?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm suspecting a defective ignition switch. But would want to pull the steering column and Check the grounds.
I sense your truck needs a serious looking at. Is this it's only problem?
I believe so, I've not owned for very long. There are some niggling issues with a short between brakes and turn signals that I think is probably caused by water getting in.

I purchased from a forum member and am largely happy with the purchase. Just need to clear up these niggling issues.
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:45 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
If I keep the ignition key on start the engine runs, as soon as I release it then I get a stall
So, the ignition switch gives power to 2 different circuits, one for starting & one for running? Would that be why I have 2 different wires running into the positive terminal on my ignition coil?
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Is there anyway I can bypass the ignition switch to see if that is the problem?
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:10 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm suspecting a defective ignition switch. But would want to pull the steering column and Check the grounds. I sense your truck needs a serious looking at. Is this it's only problem?
I second this and it is a very easy and inexpensive fix. Lots of threads on this with pictures and step by step.

If I can do it, anyone can..

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:12 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
I second this and it is a very easy and inexpensive fix. Lots of threads on this with pictures and step by step.

If I can do it, anyone can..
Thanks Kevin I will see if I can find one.
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mark - shot you an email, look it over give me a call with any questions and/or I can talk you through it.

For the record these are the exact same symptoms I had when my ignition switch failed last time.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old April 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Mark - shot you an email, look it over give me a call with any questions and/or I can talk you through it.

For the record these are the exact same symptoms I had when my ignition switch failed last time.
Jason you are a star! Many Thanks!!
Now I need to buy that carling switch from you, let me know how.

Cheers Mark

PS Thanks for everyone else who chipped in. From what I have read, the symptoms I am seeing and your input this is very likely an ignition switch failure so with the help of SDO I will go down the the route of replacing with start switch.
Old April 12th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Yorkie
Mark Whitehouse
1989 D90

Registry
So proved its the ignition switch with the help of Jason at SDO. So relieved that this turned out to be something so simple! mind you I now have the entire instrument panel to replace.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start