HELP!! Center Diff Acting wierd? sorry so long - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

HELP!! Center Diff Acting wierd? sorry so long

O.K. here goes, this happened about a month ago. Just got through putting ARB lockers in front and rear. drove home everything seemed fine. took off for the parents for the weekend, 250 miles one way. Somewhere inthe trip I started hearing a rotational noise. About every 1.5 seconds +-. Get home I want to pull the drive shafts one at a time and drive it on one shaft to find the noise. Start on the rear and notice the pinion flange has a little play very very little. pull flange inspect reinstall retorque. While I have it off I want to drive it anyhow to check for rotational noise. I put it in drive does not move I remember some saying youhave to put the Diff lock onto drive with just the front drive shaft on. I put the Diff lock on but still does not go anywhere. While in drive I put the Ebrake on an it move but only with the Ebrake on.I thought this odd. But what the hey. I drive down the road and listening the noise. I pull up to a stop sign go to take off it will not go, I let the Ebrake off and it goes. What is up with that? Go home put the drive shaft back on. Drive around alittle but now when I make sharp turn on hard surfaces it feel like it is binding up alttle. that is with the Diff locks off. I have tried swtiching it back and forth makes no difference feel the same no matter what. Checked all the linkage everything moves nice no slop in likage. Why would it do all of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

ok here is a long answer. It sounds like your center diff is working properly but maybe not your diff lock light. Sometimes the vehicle needs to be moving for the center diff to lock and unlock (in fact sometimes I've had to back up a little with the wheels straight for the center diff to unlock). When you locked the center diff and the truck did not move it was because the center diff did not lock right away. Using the parking brake with the rear driveshaft removed will make the vehicle move with the center diff unlocked...this is normal. With the center diff locked using the parking brake will also stop the front driveshaft, this is normal. Check your diff lock light to see if it is burned out or not working, it should be showing you what is going on. To diagnose a noise in the rear axle, you will have to pull the rear driveshaft AND the axle shafts so the rear diff does not turn.

hope this helps
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover
ok here is a long answer. It sounds like your center diff is working properly but maybe not your diff lock light. Sometimes the vehicle needs to be moving for the center diff to lock and unlock (in fact sometimes I've had to back up a little with the wheels straight for the center diff to unlock). When you locked the center diff and the truck did not move it was because the center diff did not lock right away. Using the parking brake with the rear driveshaft removed will make the vehicle move with the center diff unlocked...this is normal. With the center diff locked using the parking brake will also stop the front driveshaft, this is normal. Check your diff lock light to see if it is burned out or not working, it should be showing you what is going on. To diagnose a noise in the rear axle, you will have to pull the rear driveshaft AND the axle shafts so the rear diff does not turn.

hope this helps
The light is working, as move the selector from right to left the light comes on. It just seem when the selector is in the non-lock mode that when I turn sharply on hard surface It just feels tight, scuffs tires more than I think It use to. notice it more in reverse. Maybe it just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I seem to recall a post about how the lock will stay engaged for some time in some cases. I think if the lock has load built up and isn't given a proper chance to release, it will remain locked until the preload that has built up has released somehow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac