Help!!! broke zerk and bent panhard rod - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 14th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Help!!! broke zerk and bent panhard rod

I broke the damn zerk off the rear drive shaft and think it stripped the thread! Can I drive it and do I have to replace the shaft? Also on the rangie I bought, I noticed the axles offset to the left about an inch and a bent panhard rod. Obvious accident but is it driveable and if I replace it will axles return to center? Any help is greatly apprieciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

As far as the driveshaft goes, you can drive with it missing the zerk, I would use an easy out or something to get it out, then retap the hole and put a new zerk in. As far as the offset axles???????
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:12 AM
redrover

Yah you can drive it with the zert broken. But get a screw extracter at you local hardware store and remove the broken thread portion. All auto stores have new zerts. If water gets inside, it will eventually rust and wear on the slip splines. If the panhard is bent , the axle should be shifted to the drivers side. If the shift is severe it could cause a small amount of bind at control arm bushings. Eventually wearing them out. And yes a un damaged rod should help return it to factory spec. My panhard is un damaged and it is shifted a small amount to the left. Go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Milo
chris glynn
95 yellow D90

Thanks Guys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions