Help! Breakdown at roadside - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 9th, 2015, 01:59 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
agreed! but the easy chicks should take less than 10 minutes for a diesel mechanic. He needs to have the next steps after that handy since he's stuck.
Fixed that for you.

Old October 9th, 2015, 02:35 PM
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Fixed that for you.
Awesome! Grunt ;-)

Old October 9th, 2015, 02:48 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
While I am not in any way discarding the comments on fuel and timing issue, I have had a lower intercooler hose on a VW TDI come off and it would barely idle it at all and would rev up and down erratically and barely move. So just check for the easy fixes first!
On those engines an intake leak messes up the MAF reading.

On these engines a missing intake system would have no effect on idling.
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 9th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Kurt Ohlendorf
I'm sure you will have air inside the fuel system.
Bleed the fuel filter.
It will make sense to install a short part of clear hose between filter and injection pump to have a look at it.
The diaphragma inside the pre-filling pump has been discussed. Any drops at the small bore on top of the cover?
Animals with teeth like spikes sometimes like hoses!
It will not conserne a leak by fuel comming out but air comming in when subpresserized.
Hard to find such a suckin`leak.

All bones are crossed.
Land Rover werden vererbt, Sankeys sowieso! I told the old guy that weeks ago. I think his cheese is sliding off the cracker.......
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top
Stuck down by the Brockville curse. Years ago we (a Series 3 and two 101's) were traveling from Toronto to Vermont for the British Invasion. Just as we hit Brockville, there was a loud bang from the 101 behind me. We pulled over on the side of the 401 to inspect and found holes in the block and oil pan of the V8. Connecting rod had let go. What a mess. Think about it every time I pass that spot.

Hope you get yours sorted out. I once had a similar loss of power with my Tdi. Was an intermittent clogging of the fuel pick up. If I undid the fuel line at the fuel pump and blew some air through the line all was fine again... for a month or so, till it happened again.

Ex-Mod 110 Tdi
Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
Old October 9th, 2015, 08:23 PM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
Don't forget metal 110 tanks have a drain! Great way to get the sludge out
Mark Kellgren

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 10th, 2015, 12:18 AM
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi
Quick update and thanks again to all for this great response - truly there is no forum like D90. Indeed it was blockage in the fuel line leading to intermittant fuel starvation. Similar to your case, Brett. Makes me wonder now also about sludge in the tank or whether I just had a bad fuel day. I have certainly noticed lately that diesel north of the border sucks compared to south of it. Not quite sure why but US diesel feels like an extra 5-10 bhp on tap. Trying different companies does not seem to make much difference.

Love the Brockville curse story haha! Gonna have to alter my route now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions