Help! Battery drains in a day - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
clancelotta
Lancelotta

Help! Battery drains in a day

I have a 95 D90 and am having electrical problems - in short (no pun), the battery drains in a day or so, and does not appear to charge when driving.

I've suspected that there is a short somewhere, but cannot find it. I've taken it to Rover dealers and local shops for help - no dice. Recently I replaced the (aftermarket) radio thinking there might be a short there - this didn't fix the problem. If I connect jumper cables it starts right up.

The only other aftermarket item are driving lights, but they don't appear to be problematic.

If anyone has any input that may prove helpful I'd very much appreciate it!

Thanks
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
On my 95 I once tried to strip away the old wiring of some lights and I must have missed a bare wire. It was in contact, just in front of the dash cluster, with the body. It would slowly eat away at the battery. I would check that lighting - namely the wires leading to it. Have you smashed any of the wiring recently accidentally? You may have just rubbed the coating down to the bare wire.
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Charles, I'd get your battery tested to see if it can hold a charge, and then test your alternator. One way to test the alternator without removing it and taking it to the parts store is to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery while the truck is running. If it keeps running your alternator is likely fine.

hth
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Also check your grounds. On the battery and at the body connections. If they are narlie clean them up to make sure you have a good contact.
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Check your battery cables. I experienced similar symptoms and it turned out up into the sheath of the cable had deteriorated. Replaced the cable, and all was well again.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
clancelotta
Lancelotta

Where should I look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
Check your battery cables. I experienced similar symptoms and it turned out up into the sheath of the cable had deteriorated. Replaced the cable, and all was well again.
The immediately visible cables look ok, but I haven't tracked them beyond the battery compartment.
(I have killed off several batteries, so I'm sure its not the core).

Thanks!
Charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery, drain