help! anyone know bolt size for alternator? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 31st, 2010, 11:54 AM
paluskat
Tom Paluska
D110 200TDI

help! anyone know bolt size for alternator?

Noticed my alternator was wobbly - a long way from home. Seems that the lower rear bolt is missing. ??? Fell out, who knows. Only anchored bu front bracket. 200TDI in NAS 110. Anywhere I can find the specs for this bolt size?

thanks

tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2010, 06:53 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

This sounds familiar. My alternator has tried to escape more than once. My parts catalogue seems to have an error in the specs for the bolts for the bracket. I just to go the local hardware store and get replacements. I think they are 8mm, and maybe 30mm long.

I discovered that the bottom bolt on mine is broken off. This doesn't help much as far as keeping the alternator firmly fixed in place. I have high hopes of finding the time this winter/spring to replace the timing belt and attending to the broken bolt problem and a few other things while I'm at it.
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:31 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I think I just use 1/2 inch grade 8 on top, don't see why it wouldn't work on the bottom.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2010, 07:53 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
I think I just use 1/2 inch grade 8 on top, don't see why it wouldn't work on the bottom.
200Tdi?
Old December 31st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Oh, well no v8. Sorry

Robert Deniro
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM
paluskat
Tom Paluska
D110 200TDI

thanks guys

I tried a M8 course thread and cut it to about 30mm actually and fit it with a lock washer. Not confident in cranking the bolt against the threads of the bracket though - feels a little off - maybe this is why the bolt was missing in the first place... Should be solid enough for me to get home and take it in for a closer inspection.
Wobble is fixed.

Appreciate the prompt replies.

Tom

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alternator