HELP! another won't start thread... stuck in Boulder - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2009, 09:46 AM
BlackDog
A. Fehd
95 90ST

Brad - same thing happened to me at MAR this year. Turned out to be my starter.

Rovers North $299 + shipping

Local Napa $164 + $40 core

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps, but you have to check the battery condition and various contacts before you starting replacing starters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

so I know you are all waiting with baited breath regarding the outcome here so here's the scoop...

for future reference, unless I am completely ass backwards (not impossible) the starter motor is located underneath the turbo...

tried checking the voltage going to the starter when turning the key but couldn't detect any going into it thus my current guess is that I've just got a bad relay...

Anyone know where said relay would be hidden?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
All the relays for the diesel are with the fuses, some behind the panel. I forget which one is the starter relay. Plus you never know how a Tdi was set up over here, so it could be anywhere if the install was half-assed.

Old January 10th, 2009, 01:54 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Alright!!! the bloody thing starts now!

So for the kids keeping track at home...

The power wire on the front of the starter was not getting any juice, there is a relay on top of the starting motor that sends power to the start motor. There's a a wire on the back of this relay (you have to take off the pipes into the turbo to reach it) that had a) become corroded and b) fallen off

clean and reconnect and !TaDa!

Thanks again to everyone that helped me with this!!

And to those of you wishing to be stuck in Boulder... come on out and visit at least
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:59 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Yeah, put it in first gear, get it rolling with the clutch in, then when you have a little speed, release the clutch to start the engine.
My father always told me since I was a kid to start with the highest gear. Is there any reason to do either?

Once I had to start in reverse, so I guess.... when you have to, you have to....
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start