Hella wiring retard - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Hella wiring retard

Hopefully someone can help. I got a set of Hella HID lights used, and I've seen them work. The came with the ballasts, and basically there's a blue and a brown wire coming off of each. I got a Hella wiring harness, and attempted to hook them up using their instructions. Basically grounded all of the browns and hooked the blues together. There are 2 green wires coming off the switch. Once goes to the fuse block, and I have no idea what to do with the other. It says to wire it to the high beams, but I want to be able to turn these on whenever I want, main lights on or not. I've got power to the fuse block, but no power at the switch or the blue wires to the lights.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You can just wire them together or take it to the battery for constant power.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

So either wire the greens together, or run the extra green back to power? If so, makes sense. Sorry for the poor writing earlier. It was one of those "I'll be done in an hour" situations, and though I had started at 8, it still wasn't done by 10.

Follow-up Post:

Reading more, I think you do mean to take the extra green back to power. If so, do I have to go directly to the battery, or could I go to the hot side of the starter, for example? Is that always hot, or only when cranking the engine? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I ran the "high beam" wire to constant power (direct to the battery) and then encountered a different problem. It turns out that the generic hella harness came with a 10 amp fuse, and the pair of 4000's kept blowing it. Sub'd in a 20 amp fuse and everything works great. I should have bought the hella 4000 wiring harness and then I would have gotten the right connectors on the end and not had to splice. That was a typical case of Rovers North providing half-ass information about the stuff they sell.
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I will do the same, and check the fuse that's in there. The harness that I have is for the 4000's, but the HID's have their own harness that didn't come with the used lights I have. From my understanding, the HID's draw far less power, so maybe the fuse won't be the issue. This should work, and I'm looking forward to having them light up after having had the lights installed for 3 months with no power

Follow-up Post:

Mission accomplished. Thanks for the help!
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I ran the "high beam" wire to constant power (direct to the battery) and then encountered a different problem. It turns out that the generic hella harness came with a 10 amp fuse, and the pair of 4000's kept blowing it. Sub'd in a 20 amp fuse and everything works great. I should have bought the hella 4000 wiring harness and then I would have gotten the right connectors on the end and not had to splice. That was a typical case of Rovers North providing half-ass information about the stuff they sell.
Same thing happened to me, but I was too lazy to deal with it so I hooked the lights directly through a 50amp switch that I had lying around and discarded the fuse all together. Has worked fine for 3 years now.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring