hella wiring - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2006, 02:38 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
hella wiring

how have you guys made three hellas run off one switch. I have two with the hella wiring harness that I have chopped up a bit. thanks for any help
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

swith all the relays with one switch!
Old September 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
okay. its just a hella switch for now you dont think it would be too much? Also I have the hot wire for the relay jamed under the cigg lighter fuse not a good idea but I dont think its to bad of an idea? There has got to be a better way?
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I run my lights through a circuit breaker to the relay. The relay is controlled by the switch. A fuse can be used in lieu of the circuit breaker.
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Dude, use at least two relays for the three lights. The switch can run both relays. That's easy. Just makes the two outer lights on one relay and the middle one on its' own.
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:06 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thanks. I just need to figure it out when its in front of me I think. I was trying to think about how to tie it all into my current scheme so just thougth i would enquire. If the oil cooler lines dont burn it up i bet my wiring will.
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:35 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nah, it's easy stuff. All of your wiring should be independent
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Dude, use at least two relays for the three lights. The switch can run both relays. That's easy. Just makes the two outer lights on one relay and the middle one on its' own.
True, but you can run as many lights as you want on a single relay provided its properly under the relays rating.

Here you go Phil:

For example; If you have three 100W hella lamps and run them through a single relay rated for 30 amps how do you know you won't destroy the relay? Without getting too in depth all you need to know is Power = Voltage * Current to answer this question.

In this case you have three 100W lamps, which is really 300W total power. The voltage is that of your battery, 12V. Now solve for the current. 300 Watts/12Volts = 25 amps. Since the current is lower than the rating on the relay then you can use this single relay for all three lamps. However, if it exceeds the rating of the relay then like Dave said use an additional one.

There are other issues to consider like the gauge of the wire. The thicker the wire the lower the numerical rating and resistance. What does this mean to you?

If electricity were water and then the gauge would be the tube that carries that water. Restricting the diameter of the tube (wire) will only cause the water (electricity) to back up. Hence, you need to use the proper diameter to satisfy your electrical needs and ensure the "water" doesn't back up, but flows with the least amout of Resistance.

Make sense?

DJ
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would wire the center different than the sides, too. I think that is a good idea. Ideally and ultimately, I am going to have two center lights for long distance and two wide beam floods on each side to illuminate that which is right in front and to the sides of me. But, that is down a bit on my to-do list.
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thanks. two euro beams and a pencil in the center.
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I think that I keep melting my relays. What would cause this, and how do I fix it?

97 D90 SW
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Most relays are 15, 20 or 30 amp. Divide your total lamp wattage by 12 volts to get the minimum relay amperage you are needing. For example, if you are running 3x100watt lamps (300watts/12 volts), you have 25 amps of wiring. I would use a 30 amp relay or split the lamps and have 2 on 1 relay and 1 on the other. If you want them all controlled together, you can daisy chain your switch to control both relays at the same time. That is the only thing I can think of to explain a bad relay. Possibly check your grounds, too.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Menasco

If electricity were water and then the gauge would be the tube that carries that water. Restricting the diameter of the tube (wire) will only cause the water (electricity) to back up. Hence, you need to use the proper diameter to satisfy your electrical needs and ensure the "water" doesn't back up, but flows with the least amout of Resistance.

DJ
Would "back up" cause the relays to overheat and internally fail?
I am currently running 4 Hella 3000's across the top(100w bulbs), off of two 30 amp relays. They are run off a single switch.
On my ARB, I am running 2 more 3000's with 100w bulbs, and they have a separate 30 amp relay.
All of the relays are located in the engine compartment near the bulkhead. I had both of the relays go out last week at the same time and I can't tell if it was because of moisture, heat, or "back up." I replaced them and gave them a good coating of di-electric grease and then wrapped the bottoms of the relays with electric tape, in hopes to keep the moisture out.

97 D90 SW
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am not sure what "back up" is, but I do know there are a couple companies that make water resistant relays that are potted on the bottom and have covers. You may consider them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring