Hella Vision Lamps - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
LED is where it's at. Watch it become mainstream. It's happening right now.
Most definitely. I'm running an LED setup on my coral reef tank right now. 320w of LED beauty. Sounds like a lot, yeah, but does the work of 1kw of Halide and florescent lighting.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Has anyone change their headlamps to Cibie headlamps? Thoughts?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I run these and I am very happy. The only thing better is HID or LED. The LED's look like shit.

http://www.amazon.com/15224-Style-Xt.../dp/B00067BVDC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

No harness upgrades as I have been running them for years and no problems.
So I got the lamps and bulbs. I also got the painless harness in case I want brighter down the road. Should these be installed so when you're looking at them the lettering on the lamp/lense is in a normal horizontal position?

When I took out the old lamp, set in the new hella ones, and then lined up the mounting tabs on the back of the lamp and set it in the hole it was rotated off of the horizontal position by a pretty good amount. I imagine the retainer needs to be in the position it was originally fitted to allow for proper light adjustment. So am I missing something or does it matter how the lamps are orientated in there? I didn't have much time to monkey with it, so chances are I am missing something, seems like it should be pretty simple.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Now that I'm home and could compare the before and after pics it looks like the driver one was off to start with. Passenger looked normal. Thats what threw me off. I bet better lights plus properly aimed is going to make a big difference. Wow....
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:16 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Now that I'm home and could compare the before and after pics it looks like the driver one was off to start with. Passenger looked normal. Thats what threw me off. I bet better lights plus properly aimed is going to make a big difference. Wow....

The horizontal and vertical adjustment is fairly critical. Lukily Defenders have a nice fender that you can put a 2 foot level on to ensure your truck is level when you properly aim them.

In the Coast Guard we spent a lot of time leveling lights and bulbs for aids to navigation.. You would be surprised the difference it makes when you take the time to level them. The Euro Spec Defenders have switches in the dash to adjust the lights depending on the load in the back of the truck...
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The horizontal and vertical adjustment is fairly critical. Lukily Defenders have a nice fender that you can put a 2 foot level on to ensure your truck is level when you properly aim them.
Ummmm, you want the GROUND to be level, not the fender. Depending on your springs, the fender may not be level.

Actually, you want the ground to be in a straight line to the wall. Level is not that important. The other important thing it to have "normal" load.
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Ummmm, you want the GROUND to be level, not the fender. Depending on your springs, the fender may not be level.

Actually, you want the ground to be in a straight line to the wall. Level is not that important. The other important thing it to have "normal" load.
I was thinking about that. I was going to level them up tonight but have yet to put on the new bumpers, winch, and sliders. So yea going to wait for that to be put on. Good ideas guys. Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

ok i will agree with that.... but my most trucks are pretty level though...
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
ok i will agree with that.... but my most trucks are pretty level though...
Really? I think most people prefer the rear to be higher than the front.
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:04 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Yes the back is slightly higher, people can adjust their lights however they want to.... What I do know is I keep the lights in about the same parallel plane as the top of the fender. I use a combination of levels and lasers to get mine set. When I drive I can see just fine.

If you really want to be anal upgrade to the ROW switch where you can adjust the lights from the inside of the truck (4 different settings). Then you can play all you want depending on load.
Old May 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

Do you have a webpage for ROW?

Thanks,

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old May 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Sorry for this going way off topic. Here is the info on the light leveling. It is one switch so you need to get them level in the first place

the first attachment is a pic of the dash location for the switch.

the second is the the wiring digram. I believe it is a Hella part or a Wipac part. Here is a picture of the motor (http://landyspareparts.ecommerce.pay..._Motor_DEFHLAM)

the third is the settings

You can find them at scrap yards in the UK cheap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	levellights.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	39101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Manuallevellight.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	39102  

Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp