Hella Vision Lamps - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I run these and I am very happy. The only thing better is HID or LED. The LED's look like shit.

http://www.amazon.com/15224-Style-Xt.../dp/B00067BVDC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

No harness upgrades as I have been running them for years and no problems.
Good to know thanks! I like the sound of the anti vibration.

Murph - what kind of bulbs are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you drive in deep water, you might want to look at something else. They are not waterproof. I did love teh Hella ecodes, but got tired of cleaning out the water.

I found these: http://members.shaw.ca/Red90/Bright_Driver/Lights.html and have been happy so far!
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh12 View Post
Do they produce a bluish light?

------ Follow up post added May 11th, 2011 09:51 PM ------

RDS
Not bluish at all just very white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
You do need to realize that high wattage H4 bulbs have very short lives. Usually less than 100 hours.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
You do need to realize that high wattage H4 bulbs have very short lives. Usually less than 100 hours.
I only run PIAA. I have been running PIAA Extreme whites in my truck(s) for years. Since 1998 I have bought 6 sets.

1 set for my Dakota in 1998 (they lasted the duration of ownership 3.5 years)
1 for my Denali (which they lasted for the duration of ownership 4 years)
1 set for my Tacoma (which lasted for the duration of ownership 5 years)
On my second for the Defender (first set got f-ed up when I ran underwater when they where turned on for 4+ hours)
I have a set of 580's that where on the Denali, the Tacoma, and the Defender that I have since given away and they are on the original bulbs (purchased in 2003)

Everytime I drive I have my headlights on. It's a habit I picked up in Alaska where you have to have your headlights on by law on the Highways....

Piaa has an outstanding warranty and customer service department. I had one problem with my 8002 HID's and they sent me a replacement part (300 dollar part) at no cost and didn't even ask me to return the busted part.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:32 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If my headlights ever burn out I am going led. Ze has them and they look cool. Noticed ecr just put them ina truck too. No clue how they work though. I don't drive at night so it doesn't matter. This is just for looks for when I go to the mall during the day.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The LED's are quite bright and have a nice "cut off line" I am sure if properly aimed they are superior to anything else that will fit in a Defender. I just dont like the way they look when turned off.
Old May 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The E-Code hella's also have the sharp cutoff, it's more a feature of the european spec lighting requirements and the lensing than the LED's.

I've been running the E-code Hella's on anything I can fit them in for years now, huge improvement over stock sealed beam light patterns. And that's with the basic stock H4 bulbs, no real need for brighter. Just remember that the higher wattage bulbs have much shorter lifespans to them.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
So I bought some of these bulbs. Thanks for the suggestion.

And I bought the painless wire harness for the lights. I figure these cool new bulbs might start some curiosity and I might start toying with different ones, so why not just do the harness and be done.

I have had pretty good luck with electronics on this one so far, so I don't want to test it or make it upset lol. I like all the posts about these harnesses. Some clever ideas on using the alternator, starter, fuse panel in the engine bay, etc. Not sure what I'll do but some good options w/o getting to the battery box. I plan on setting up an aux fuse panel, not sure on what one yet. I like the painless ones, but their HD is all ignition on, and I want a couple contstant (work light, etc). The blue sea looks cool, but I guess they are all the same thing either all on a relay or all hot all the time.

Those sealed ones look pretty cool. Might consider that if I ever move back out midwest. Not too many fords or puddles for that matter in NV.

Thanks everyone.
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
dsh12
Daniel Hayes
1994 Defender 90 Soft Top

A good source for the LED headlights or bulbs??

There are no guarantees expressed or implied of the accuracy or correctness of the contents of this message, and the Author is not liable for the taking of any action in reliance upon the contents of this message. As always, do your own research. To the extent that opinions are expressed in this message, they are not necessarily the opinions of the Author.
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Trucklite LED 7" round: http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry..._ProductDetail

The prices are getting almost reasonable. Around the same price as proper 7" HIDs. I still would love to see a proper, unbiased light comparison. All I've ever seen are dealer claims or owners saying "they are good". It is so easy to put one light in and do a comparison with the other....
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:34 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Trucklite LED 7" round: http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry..._ProductDetail

The prices are getting almost reasonable. Around the same price as proper 7" HIDs. I still would love to see a proper, unbiased light comparison. All I've ever seen are dealer claims or owners saying "they are good". It is so easy to put one light in and do a comparison with the other....
I have talked to quite a few of the Trucklite engineers and sales reps. They state the following quite consistantly:

1. The Led's are better than an H4 bulb or sealed beam.
2. They are not as bright or as effective as a proper HID (when using a proper lens).
3. They state they are more effective than a ghetto HID set up (HID kit in a non HID lens)
4. They pride themselves on the longeivity, and waterproofness.

When I attend the large defense industry shows most companies that manufacture vehicles (such as Oshkosh and Hummer) are using these as the driving lamps and the AUX lights are HID...
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I have talked to quite a few of the Trucklite engineers and sales reps. They state the following quite consistantly:
Which is lovely, but these are BIASED views. You need someone knowledgeable about lighting that is not affiliated with the light to provide a review. It is great the prices are now sane. They used to be $1200+

I have seen a review on a lighting forum that said they are on par with a decent H4 light but not as good as a top end H4 bulb. I just cannot see why someone could not do a simple comparison like I did with the Hummer H2 lights. Anyone want to lend me a light? I only need it for a couple of days.

Since you can get a proper Osram HID housing for "about" the same price and even they agree they are better, I'm not entirely sure of why to go the LED route.

http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=267
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:35 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The reason they sell well in the defense industry is because of the lack of maintenance. I looked at them and compared them to my PIAA H4s, my PIAA 580s and my Piaa 8002 HID kit. The Piaa products outperformed the trucklite LED (I prefer long range lighting). I was looking at them to use as AUX lights (they have nice mount kit for these).

I also think they aesthetically take away from the look of the truck as headlights. Also the housing is made from plastic so I am willing to bet they will fade over time.

On another note: Trucklite is developing a newer version of this light (due out next year). They lowered the prices to get rid of the old
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Here's my engineering perspective, for what it's worth:

The following specifications are provided by the manufacturer:

10 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Designed at 12.8v
4.5a (High Beam), 2.5a (Low Beam)

Total power dissipation for the low beam is therefore 32W @ 250mA/LED . The average high efficiency LED on the market with respect to luminous flux per watt has steadily increased over the years.

A standard H7 code single filament bulb produces 1500 lumens.

If these headlights are built around LED technology from 2001-2005, most likely output is around 20 lumens/W for a total output of 640 lumens.

Production LEDs from 2006-2008 can produce around 50 to 60 lumens per Watt, for a total luminous flux of 1600-1920 lumens. By this point you are matching or exceeding the light output of a standard H7 code bulb.

The newest production LEDs from 2009 onward can produce more than 100 lumens per watt, which would make such a light blinding.

Dissipating the heat from 250mA current is not difficult, so life span can't be that bad.

The real question to answer is what is the total luminous flux of the light, as well as the beam pattern?
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Here's my engineering perspective, for what it's worth:

The following specifications are provided by the manufacturer:

10 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs)
Designed at 12.8v
4.5a (High Beam), 2.5a (Low Beam)

Total power dissipation for the low beam is therefore 32W @ 250mA/LED . The average high efficiency LED on the market with respect to luminous flux per watt has steadily increased over the years.

A standard H7 code single filament bulb produces 1500 lumens.

If these headlights are built around LED technology from 2001-2005, most likely output is around 20 lumens/W for a total output of 640 lumens.

Production LEDs from 2006-2008 can produce around 50 to 60 lumens per Watt, for a total luminous flux of 1600-1920 lumens. By this point you are matching or exceeding the light output of a standard H7 code bulb.

The newest production LEDs from 2009 onward can produce more than 100 lumens per watt, which would make such a light blinding.

Dissipating the heat from 250mA current is not difficult, so life span can't be that bad.

The real question to answer is what is the total luminous flux of the light, as well as the beam pattern?

Guess you killed it with the engineering data...

You are spot on with your last statement. Most people don't get that quality lens is equally as important as the light source.
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hahah, sorry Thomas. Here's a link showing the beam pattern:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...LED-Headlights
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Hahah, sorry Thomas. Here's a link showing the beam pattern:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...LED-Headlights

nice pics. It will be interesting to see what trucklite comes out when the generation II version. I guess it comes down to looks and preferences at this point. But I think in the next 12-24 months LED's are going to advance even further..
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

LED is where it's at. Watch it become mainstream. It's happening right now.
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

It will be sweet when it's only 100 buck and not 600!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp