Defender Source Forum banner

Hella Rear lamp install

Tags
lamp
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Defender13 
#1 ·
I almost have my new rear lamp installed, but I came to a dead end. In the harness that came with the lamp there is one wire that needs to go the the orange/white wire in the ignition. First off, do I need to do this and if not where would I wire it too then? Or how do I get to this particular ingintion wire and what is the best route? I am putting the switch in the hole alreay cut out under the dash cluster. Any suggestions on the best way to route the wire up and under the dash. I have A/C and it looks like it's going to be difficult to get behind the dash.
Thanks again,

#2 ·
Mike, I think the wire is only so you can not turn the lights on without the key in the ignition, if you want to by pass this then just attach it to any 12 volt source. If you want to get to the ignition (and to under the dash the best way I have found is to remove the upper vent portion of your AC, then remove the corner piece of your dash, it is the part on the very end of the dash corner directly above the AC vent to the left of the steering wheel. It should be held on with 3 screws. Behind that you will find a hole threw the dash/firewall/bulkhead that you can bring wires in and out for switches and it is relatively easy to get to behind the ignition switch from here by removing the gauges.

#4 ·
It would work, but only when the rear tail light or reverse lamp is on. I wired mine so that I can turn it on and off whenever the park lights are on, that way I don't accidentally leave it on, and I can turn it on without the keys in the ignition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.