Hella rear lamp install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Hella rear lamp install

I ordered a new Hella Dual Beam work lamp for my 90 and am wondering if I can connect it directly to my reverse light. I would rather not have to wire to my battery and put in a switch if it is not needed. Any help would be great.
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I wouldn't recommend wiring it without using a relay. The stock reverse wire circuit is only running a bulb in the range of 10 watts or so. Jumping up to the 55w or so that the dual beam is running will not be kind on the reverse light switch and fuses, and the wires themselves are definitely too small of a gauge. This means you will have to do a run to the battery.

You can use the reverse light wiring to switch a relay though. I did that, as well as installed a switch in the speaker panel. My spotlights come on either in reverse, or if I hit the switch. Mine are also mounted up high on the roof rack, so they make wonderful work lights if I have to help anybody out in the dark.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Thanks Hans, what would be the best route for the wires to the battery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Look behind the right rear speaker...you will find a purple wire that is hot all the time. It is there for the trailer wiring to charge a trailer battery. You can use that to power the work lights and switch it on via a relay controlled by the reverse lights. The reverse light wiring is also behind the speaker (again, for the trailer wiring). You can mount the relay and associated wiring behind the speaker enclosure really neat and clean. You can also run an additional wire to the dash to allow you to turn on the work lights independent of the reverse lights as hans has done. I have 2 Hella worklights for a tractor mounted high on the rear of the truck...each has 1 55w fog light bulb in it. They come on with the reverse lights and are set to shine over my military trailer so that I can see to back it up.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:12 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have my Hella HID rear light wired independantly with the switch to the left of the steering column, where the switch cut outs are. If you connect the rear lamp to reverse only, then you can't use it as a work light only when the truck is stationary. When I reverse, if I need extra light, I flip the switch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
lamp