hella lights wont come on - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

hella lights wont come on

my d-90 came with hella auxiliary lights above the windshield that are wired to the high beams. they worked fine until last weekend when i noticed that they no longer come on with the high beams. there are 4 lights and none of them come on. high beams on headlights work fine. i checked the in line fuses and one was blown and i replaced it but still nothing. any ideas on trouble shooting? how do you check if a relay has failed? i didnt check the lamps themselves because i couldnt believe all 4 would go at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:14 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would trace the wire and check connections. I would start with the wire that connects to the high beam switch wire and if it isn't that, start checking the rest of the connections and wiring for a short or broken wire.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If they are hooked into the headlights there has to be/should be a relay for them. Relays are just switches and they wear out. Find the relay, bet thats your problem.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

My Hellas did the same thing..found out the wire got wrapped up in the stearing under hood and mangled the relay and wires beyond recon. Probaly not your case but relays do go bad and are an easy fix..any autoparts store has. Just make sure to mark what wires goto each post on your relay before disconnecting them less you want to trace all of them down. All post are marked.
Keith
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

found 2 bosch relays in engine compartment for hellas, appear to be wired to each headlight. is there some way to check the relays and see which one is bad before replacing both?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Just direct connect past the relay and you'll know if it lives. You can get cheap ones at auto parts store. But you might like to have a spare anyhow, they will die (even the Hellas). It could also be the ground wire.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights