Hella Headlight Conversion Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Exclamation Hella Headlight Conversion Help

Happy Memorial Day, Gents...

Started a Memorial Day Defender project that I've run into an issue with- hoping I can find help here.

Motivated by a burned out turn indicator, I decided to replace ALL of the bulbs, which then turned into the lamp assemblies, Bosses, re-painting of the front wings, and of course...Headlamps!

No real problems with any of it (short of a few rusted out screws that had to be drilled through), but during the headlamp swap (Rovers North talked me into their Hella "Vision Plus" HB2's), I've found that the back of the Hella lamps have a different headlamp frame attachment point than the stock Wagners did [see pics]. Problem is, the stock hardware that mounts the headlamp to the headlamp frame doesn't appear to work with the Hella's mounting points.
Those of you who are familiar with such an install- is there a workaround? If not, what hardware is needed and where can it be purchased?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66D954F6-6CA2-4FE9-82E3-F245D2C832E2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	52261   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC32B86D-BAAD-4F7B-838C-B694DFB0C78C.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	52262  

Click image for larger version

Name:	936D883F-1085-4E60-AD4E-5BE56F8AFB14.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	52263   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	52264  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I bought the same lights and they dropped right in to my defender, now I do have the English defender and not a NAS, does this mean the NAS has a different set up??
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
I bought the same lights and they dropped right in to my defender, now I do have the English defender and not a NAS, does this mean the NAS has a different set up??
Couldn't say, but the bracket issue is the only thing keeping the Hella from "dropping in" this NAS Defender... Everything else about it is smooth.

I'm out in the garage- anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Get a few pieces of thin metal, bend them to fit and drill the hole for the screw.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I put the hella euro specs in mine and they dropped right in.. Remove 3 screws ... The adjusters remained in place and they dropped back in ... 20 min job. Can't see where anything could go wrong. Are they rotated correctly?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I put the hella euro specs in mine and they dropped right in.. Remove 3 screws ... The adjusters remained in place and they dropped back in ... 20 min job. Can't see where anything could go wrong. Are they rotated correctly?
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. How then, does the OEM mounting hardware (pic #2; upper right) fit into the Hella mounting point (pic #1; upper left)

------ Follow up post added May 27th, 2012 07:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. How then, does the OEM mounting hardware (pic #2; upper right) fit into the Hella mounting point (pic #1; upper left)
They don't appear to be made to work together.
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:39 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure that it goes like that ... It's a while since I did them ... The headlight goes in the bowl the two metal rings connect to each other and then it is held in place by 3 screws. The other 3 screws just adjust the level and shouldn't be changed unless you had to.

I don't think the headlight is mounted to the ring ... It's basically 'loose' and then clamped in by the the 2 outer rings.

That's how I remember it ... But I could be wrong.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
I'm not sure that it goes like that ... It's a while since I did them ... The headlight goes in the bowl the two metal rings connect to each other and then it is held in place by 3 screws. The other 3 screws just adjust the level and shouldn't be changed unless you had to.

I don't think the headlight is mounted to the ring ... It's basically 'loose' and then clamped in by the the 2 outer rings.

That's how I remember it ... But I could be wrong.
Thanks for your feedback! Took a look at installing the headlamp without attaching it to the OEM mounting ring, and I don't believe it's substantial enough- a slight amount of movement still exists in the lamp.

Of course it WILL fit this way, but is this best method of installing these headlamps??
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Ross, I also haven't done it in a while, but they should pop right into the original mountings as Jason described. Take another look and try actually attaching everything. They should be quite solidly in place once everything is tightened down.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Thanks for your feedback! Took a look at installing the headlamp without attaching it to the OEM mounting ring, and I don't believe it's substantial enough- a slight amount of movement still exists in the lamp.

Of course it WILL fit this way, but is this best method of installing these headlamps??
look in this link at 3:16

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Thanks guys.

What I'm talking about happens at 4:10- installation of the tab hardware. The OEM "tabs" do not seem to fit on the 3 Hella lamp mounting points. I'm beginning to question whether or not I got the right model of Hella.

Apologies if I haven't been clear!
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
they look like mine

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2012 11:50 AM ------

What do you think is wrong in 3?
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
they look like mine

------ Follow up post added May 28th, 2012 11:50 AM ------

What do you think is wrong in 3?
Should've explained pic #3:

To make the tabs fit into the Hella "brackets" (I'll call them), I had to file off the edges of the tabs (the 90 degree angles you see in pic#2). They will then fit, but will not sandwich the headlamp frame against the headlamp. So, it's doing no good.

Thanks for sticking with me!
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
That clamp is to pull the light towards the retaining ring ... before you filled them ... would turning them over have clamped it up? I would have installed them the opposite way up to what you have shown in picture 2 ( screw and bracket ).

Now you've filled the clamp bit away I would pack the gap with rubber ( between clamp and back of headlight ) ... cut up and old inner tube or something to get a firm clamp ... alternatively maybe the box had some hella 'clamps' in the box and in your excitement to look a the lamps they went missing?

The clamps are just spring steel with a hole in them .
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I had no issue with those little clips on my defender or classic when I swapped to the ecodes
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
That clamp is to pull the light towards the retaining ring ... before you filled them ... would turning them over have clamped it up? I would have installed them the opposite way up to what you have shown in picture 2 ( screw and bracket ).

Now you've filled the clamp bit away I would pack the gap with rubber ( between clamp and back of headlight ) ... cut up and old inner tube or something to get a firm clamp ... alternatively maybe the box had some hella 'clamps' in the box and in your excitement to look a the lamps they went missing?

The clamps are just spring steel with a hole in them .
Well folks...it appears that this has been an issue of "user error" after all! The first tab I picked up didn't fit on the Hella mount (it was too small), but wouldn't you know- the rest...do. So, although I nearly wasted two of the tabs by filling off the edges, I was able to salvage them and put them to use.
Long story short- it's all back together: headlamps, turn indicators, brake lights, and reverse. On aesthetics alone- it's a major improvement! Looking forward to checking everything out tonight...

A sincere thanks to all for the help- especially Leastonce! Appreciate the patience...

Ross
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:34 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Now go for a drive now that its getting dark out
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Did you upgrade the wiring as well? I used the painless harness so I can run the 100w bulbs later if I ever choose to.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I am a fan of these with PIAA H4's.

There is a guy on eBay always selling them. Look up "Porche h4 hella". When I bought them they where 55 a piece.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Now go for a drive now that its getting dark out
Just got around to driving it. I'm not easily impressed, but...they're damn impressive! Both low and high beams are a vast improvement over the stock Wagners. More volume, and a much whiter light. I'd highly recommend the Hella's- hard to beat for $80/pair, especially when the bulbs are replaceable.

Replacing the indicator lights was another great improvement- MUCH brighter (safer) with the new lenses. My originals had seen better days, after 160k miles of use.

------ Follow up post added May 29th, 2012 07:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Did you upgrade the wiring as well? I used the painless harness so I can run the 100w bulbs later if I ever choose to.
I didn't- mine were in good shape. Nice though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
conversion, ht